1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Weaver K6 W Rifle scope?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Zane71464, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

A friend picked up an older Remington 700 yesterday and it has an older Weaver K6-W scope on it which he is going to send it my way soon. The only info he gave me about it was the # on it, which is K6-W and said the scope looked clear looking through it.
    My question is, what objective power is the scope? 38mm, or 40mm?
    I'm not up with the older Weaver scopes, but thinking if the scope is in good shape, it may work on a Rem 700 .243 win Varmint Special I have?
    Any thoughts/help would be appreciated, and wish I had more info on it. I talked with him a bit last night and that's all the info he could give me along with a couple of pics of the scope, which looks like it has seen it's better days...

Attached Files:

• A.JPG
      A.JPG
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
    • C.JPG
      C.JPG
      File size:
      6.6 KB
      Views:
    • D.JPG
      D.JPG
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
  2. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

Hi, I may stand to be corrected , but I don't believe your scope is a 40mm . It is the rather expensive Weaver wide angle. Yes they are an older scope but they had the reputation of being good quality.
    Nothing wrong with puttting that on a 243 or a 30-06. It will certanly stand up to any normal hunting rifle abuse.

Weaver used to have an on the spot check for their scops to determin if a scope was in need of repair.

To test a scope is rather simple and can be done on the range or with a "good" bore sighter. Personaly I think range is better.

So here is how you do a plimiary scope check.

If at the range and the rifle is set for ZERO
    Turn scope adg. down a full 5 in. and fire one shot.
    Now turn adg to the left 5in. and fire
    turn up 10in and fire
    Now turn right 10in and fire
    turn down 10in and fire
    turn left 5in and fire
    Last turn up 5in and fire

If you are right back were you started, at ZERO,then your scope is good.
    This can all be done with a boresighter and a LIGHT rap on the scope. The boresight method is for people like me who can't shoot worth shxx.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  3. 22shot

22shot New Member

To add to grsat

Weaver K6W (Wide Angle)

Field of view (100 yds) 24ft
    Eye relief (inches0 3.5
    Objective dia. 43.8mm
    Eyepiece dia. 43.4mm
    Magnification 6X
    Price (1982) $168
    Your choice of five different reticles.

Shooters Bible #73
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

If on the left hand side of the upper adjustment turret it says "MIcro Trac" that is a very good thing indeed. This is a very good mechanizm, and was later in the production of the K series, if I remember right...

Regards, Kirk
  5. Zane71464

GREAT information guys! My friend is also nephew and I gave him a call back this evening to find out a bit more about it. He told me he was taking it off the rifle he just came across and going to be bringing it up this way soon. If I could just keep him on the phone long enough to get some more insight on what shape it's in...(g/f stuff):rolleyes:, but anyhow, I did keep him on the line long enough to have him at least look thru it and tell me what it looked like as far as "clear" and whatnot, but gonna call him back and ask what Kirk just added, the Micro Trac.
    I appreciate all the info guys....wish I had the dang scope in my hands! Need to see it as the pics dont tell alot. Gonna bug him again right real shortly...I'm sure he'll (and the g/f) appreciate it!!!:D
  6. Zane71464

I do appreciate that 22shot! I'm gonna look and see if I have the #73 Shooters Bible....thinking I do and need to get those out more often!:rolleyes:
  7. Zane71464

I finally got the scope this past week and it appears to be in great shape and the optics are very clear and no dings or signs of abuse to the scope it's self.
    I can honestly say that Ive never used a fixed power scope on a rifle and what I was wondering was, if a "fixed power" scope would be better on a bolt action .22lr then a varible power scope?
    This hasnt got much to do with it, but the scope came of a Remington 700 .243 and when he came down he put a Winchester brand, 3-9x56mm scope that he had bought several years ago at a gun show...so he put it on the .243! Beside that, the 1969 .243 was holding a sub 3/4" MOA with factory Winchester 80gr bullets, tack driver!:)

Attached Files:

8. 22shot

22shot New Member

Zane71464

Looks nice!

Opinions will vary; but I like those "old" Weavers...grew up with them.
    They were "everymans" scopes; and did what was expected.

The "new" Weavers retain the name only.

As to fixed vs. variable; you soon find a "rut"; wether it's hunting; range shooting; plinking; etc; and you get comforatable with your scope; and you don't "fiddle" with the variable settings anymore.
    With the exception of long range shooting; A "fixed" scope does me just fine; thank you.

Personally; I have a Weaver D6 (6X fixed) on my.22 bolt action "squirrel" rifle; 1" tube; good light gatheringin on those early mornings/dark woods hunts. Enough magnification for those 50 yd. head shots. Doesn't do bad at the range; either.
    Obviously; I think that the Weaver D6 was the best all around scope ever made for a .22!
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  9. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

There is nothing wrong with no knowing anything.
    But I am surprised that no one told you that there is no "Power" to the objective lens.
    The size of the lens - is what it is. 38mm - is thirty eight millimeters in diameter.
    The larger the number - the larger the glass
    With the right coatings - the larger the glass the more light transmission you can expect. Which would make the scope more clear and make things inside of the scope look brighter.
    Most things in life has one thing in common.
    People doesn't give something away unless there is something wrong with it.

The old Weaver scopes has one problem - you can't see the cross hairs until it gets light out.
    Ever wonder why they came out with scopes with names like Firefly?
    It's because some hunter went out into the woods early in the morning and couldn't yet see his / her cross hairs - but could see a decent animal in front of them and wished that they could see the cross hairs - and so they invented a way to make the cross hairs glow in the dark - long enough to get you through the first transition stage early in the morning and just before it got dark out.

Most new modern scopes do not need this option because even on a moonlit night - you can still see the cross hairs.
    The Weavers were a terrible - cheap - scope.
    Only the people who could not afford a Leupold or a Redfield bought Weavers.
    I still got the box and the receipt from Grice Gun Shop - dated Jan 5, 1970 - for my dad's 2x7x32 Weaver scope. $39.99
    By comparison the rifle he bought that day, his first Remington 760, 30-06 ADL was a mere $98.00
    So optic's were not cheap - even though the quality was poor at best.
    He sent that scope back so many times that he had the box wore out.

He finally got brave and tore it apart one day and found bread crumbs inside of the scope. I guess the person that repaired in in El Paso TX in 1974, must have done it on his lunch break.

I see how excited you are to get something for free, yet I realize that even a cheap $99.00 scope is 10 times better then the one you just got for free.

The only advantage to owning a fixed power scope back then was the fact that the parallax was terrible in those first generation scopes and that as you turned the power ring up and down, the point of aim would move and that the variable power scopes were not as accurate as the fixed power scopes.

The last one that I came across in hunting camp about 10 years ago was on a old Remington 721 .270
    The owners father had it put on back in the 60's and it would not stay in one position for the power setting and I took it home and JB Welded the power adjustment under the cap and told him to throw it away and buy a new scope.
    But to a city slicker, who only hunted one or two days a year, it was good enough.
    The last time I seen the gun, it was covered with rust - because he kept it in the case, out in his garage, because his dad died and his wife did not want it in her house. The gun beside it was a feather weight model 70 - 30-06 , pre 64 which was in the same condition......
  10. Zane71464

Well that's what I'm thinking as well and it will be just for 50-100yd shooting. Ive looked through this scope at different times of day/low light and from about 15yds or so, it's as clear as any scope I own!
    I do know that the AO part of any scope has nothing to do with your magnification, and that the varible (say 3-9) is just that. You can adjust the "power" of the magnification and not by the adjustable objective lens.
    And I have to strongly disagree with "The Weavers were a terrible - cheap - scope"! Ive had one, a Weaver V9 on a Rem 700 since about the late 60's and it was a good scope then and was til about a year ago as I dropped it and messed it up. But 40yrs of great use and never a problem with it, what can I say? I was just wondering more of accurracy from a fixed/set power compaired to the varible (ie., 3-9x40, 4-12x50 and etc.)....at say, 50-100yd shooting.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  11. 22shot

22shot New Member

I don't know which end of this sope you are looking at; Gamemaster 760; neither is 38mm.
  12. Zane71464

Well Heck, this means out of all my 15+ scopes that I have on various rifles, that I'm going to have to get them out and re-think this through....I hope someday that I might "know something"? Ive been shooting for 35 plus years and learning something new everyday!:D:confused::eek::eek::)