Web page designer needed, willing to barter ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by henry0reilly, Jan 13, 2005.

1. henry0reilly

henry0reilly New Member

I am working as an intern with the Hoosier Veteran's Assistance Foundation. I need a web page builder to help me with a massive semester project that includes extending the services offered by this program for homeless veterans into cyberspace, primarily with the function of aftercare, a point to keep in touch with the community that has been supporting them for up to two years before they move out on their own. These guys aren't freelloading, 8% of the funds to operate the program comes from program fees paid by the clients. Knowing how much support some people get from cyber communities, I feel that it surely must be worthwhile to make that sort of support available for these veterans.

I understand the fundamentals of web page design but I have no experience handling the graphics. I will be busy working on a fundrasing project and agency school interface idea to muddle through it.

If you love to do web page design, would like to support a veteran's cause and would be willing to put in a few hours on a project, I might have a knife, case of ammo, or shootin' iron to barter for your services. (Nagant, ugly but servicable 94 30-30, 22 single shot or ?) The current page can be found at www.hvaf.org (.ORG) The person who created and maintained it is no longer with the foundation.

Those interested drop me a pm or email.

Comments on the concept welcome below.
  2. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Many internet providers will give you, for free, a limited amount of server space to create a web page, and a limited anount of band width from which this page can be viewed.

They provide templates for you to layout "design" your page.

Call your I.S.P.
    You can also get software for CHEAP to build a page, and used your home computer as a server.

Using your ISP as a server is also pretty cheap,, unless you start getting thousands of hits a day.
  3. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

I know my roomate does some web designing, I'm going to ask him what programs he has, and see what it would take, from my understanding, I think I may have enough computer experience to do it, but I'm not sure.

The site right now looks fairly simple...did you want to update it or get it to look a lot more flashy??
    I will see what he has and let you know if I could do anything.

Also, is it already hosted somewhere?
  4. FrancF

FrancF New Member

I would volonteer, but I do not wish to get in over my head (Work stuff, I have a full plate).
    How I did mine was using MS Front Page. As for web space go to addr.com which makes a great set up between the two. There Web space is cheap, and they keep the servers humming.
  5. FrancF

FrancF New Member

Forgot to add you can be up in 1 day! :D
  6. offeror

offeror New Member

Could you tell us what content or functions you need to have added? That would help us to know what kinds of expertise need apply.
  7. Carl S

Carl S New Member

FrontPage is a very easy to use program. You don't have to know a thing about HTML. FrontPage creates the HTML for you. Newer versions have a wizard to help you wth design and layout. There are several websites with tips about the do's and don't's of web design. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions that you have. I am not a web designer but I have designed several business sites. If I don't know the answer, I can steer you in the right direction to find the answer.
  8. henry0reilly

henry0reilly New Member

not sure at this point...

Basically looking for a bit more flash, adding a current photo section with pictures of the facilities and staff. I sort of went off half-cocked on this one, I haven't discussed it with the program director yet. I'll have a better idea on details after I meet with her again next week.