Webley .577 6 shot revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by solvend, Oct 31, 2011.

1. solvend

solvend New Member

I have inherited what I believe is a Webley .577 6-shot revolver. It was sold by James W. Rosier Melbourne as it bares his name engraved into top side of frame. I have included a couple photos along with this thread to try and find out more information and an approximated value.

Additionally I found an article discussing the sale of two Webley .577 at auction in the early 1900's where one was purportedly brought to the United States, I am wondering what the odds are that the one sent to the U.S is the one I inherited. A google search for images of a webley .577 brings up one matching photo that looks identical and its labeled a Webley No. 1 chambered in .577. My webley is in immaculate condition compared to the one google brings up.

It is in Immaculate condition and Webley & Scott from the UK has said it was made between 1866-1870 probably. Anyone an expert or wanna take a wild guess at a value for insurance purposes (would never sell a family heirloom)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v471/kevinsomers/public/Webley chambered in 577 maybe/
  2. solvend

solvend New Member

It also could have been another company who licensed the production or even produced by Tranter itself. It has three markings only, two proofs on the barrel, and another thats visible on right side of frame by grips
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, and you have a valuable heirloom!

However, there's only one Webley marked example known, and despite what Dowell's book and 20th century remnants of Webley & Scott said, they are a Tranter design, and the cylinder backplate should be marked: "Tranter's Patent" and " Braendelin's Improvement."

Your pics aren't clear enough to be certain, but it may have been refinished at some point. Even so, value would be in $5000 range, and maybe double that if original.
  4. solvend

solvend New Member

I will look at the cylinder backplate when i get home and take more photos to add to this thread. Maybe we can get to the bottom of it!

I appreciate your time and attention.

It is not marked as Webley, and i realize they licensed production out to other gun makers of the day. There is the back story that James W. Rosier from Melbourne auctioned two of these off in early 1900's. One went into a private collection and one purportedly came to the U.S. the article reads : "In October 1916, when prominent Melbourne gundealer, James Rosier, was auctioning his business, a collector by the name of Mr. H.W.Fry stood in the crowd and bid. He secured two .577 Webley revolvers, one of which in time would pass into the collection of Mr. D.L. Archer who wrote of his purchase in his notebook in 1928. The other Fry purportedly took to America."

article can be found at http://www.armscollectorsguild.com/pages/about.htm

and this one DOES bare Rosiers engraved name on the top of the frame. I think that may help tie it to being a Webley, Webley & Scott said only one version of that revolver they produced has the Webley markings. I havent found any markings so far other than the three hallmarks previously discussed.
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It was normal for retailers's names to be marked on English firearms, and somewhere there probably are (or were) other Rosier retailed examples.

Here's the discussion of these monsters from the book: "Tranter Cartridge Firearms" (Black, Guerin, Michaud 2007, out of print).

Attached Files:

6. solvend

solvend New Member

It sounds like from that book that it was made by Braendlin since its a six shot. I do not think its been reconditioned at any point. If it has been it was previous to my grandfather owning it and thats been 40+ years that he had it.

I will check the cylinder backplate when i get home from work today. Any chance if i clean up and take better photos of the proof marks on barrel and frame they would help identify more specifically this revolver? I didnt see Braendlin's trademark engraved where i found it on other photos of his .577 revolvers.
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Please do not "clean" it; the proofmarks are the standard Birmingham marks, and will tell you nothing more about the gun.

Don't do any cleaning other than a wipedown with lightly oiled cotton rag.
  8. solvend

solvend New Member

Thanks for the info, I knew enuf not to scrub off anything on it...keep it as original as humanly possible...funny though my grand dad passed it to my father a few years ago when he died and October 9th we lost my dad to cancer and he had that revolver stuffed inside some old slippers someone had hand crocheted years ago...not the best storing situation...lol

I inherited a nice collection, but this .577 has my undivided attention at the moment...
  9. solvend

solvend New Member

I just got home to look for the engravings on the chamber backplate. Mine has none what so ever. And it doesn't have Braendlin trademark on left side of receiver either.

I'm thinkin maybe Webley DID make some of
    These .577's.

I'll add more pics to photobucket so u can see for yourself there's no Tranter or Braendlin engravings anywhere

That make it more rare or more valuable?
  10. solvend

solvend New Member

I also have little visible wear from revolver cycling. this plate doesn't possess the ring around the edge of the chamber plate caused from reasonable use That I see in that picture u posted. There's more scratches from the chamber being taken out with the hammer fully retracted.

Is it just me, or is finding out all the juicy details of a revolver like this consuming and intriguing.

I know my grand dad owned an auto body shop and a man from the UK had him reassemble a British car and this revolver was payment or partial payment many many moons ago
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

12. solvend

solvend New Member

I uploaded more photos to that previously mentioned photobucket
  13. solvend

solvend New Member

14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Spot on HRF i have two of his all engraved
  15. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The book states Tranter also licensed Tipping & Lawden and Webley to use his .577 design, and seven guns are shown: Two each by Tranter, Braendelin, and Tipping & Lawden; one by Webley.

The Tranters are marked Tranter's Patent on left front frame and the Webley is marked Webley's Patent in same location.

Only one of the Braendelins is marked with their crossed pennants trademark.

The Tipping & Lawdens have lever cylinder pin releases instead of a push button.

The Webley is made without a lanyard ring, and bottom of the butt is slanted upward at front like early Webley No. 2 RICs, instead of being parallel with the barrel.

You should check used sources for a copy of the book; it would be a valuable accessory.

Value wise, I doubt the maker is very significant, with condition being the important factor.