Webley Confusion

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by yuri-nm, Jul 10, 2011.

1. yuri-nm

yuri-nm New Member

First Post!

Recently acguired an early Webley but I have been unable to determine the Model and as a result, the value is undetermined. The deceased collector I purchased this from listed it as a "Webley 1882 .450 cal". It has the grips of a WG or MK I and the clylinder retaining nut and markings of a Pryse. Serials are matching and the finish is good but has some pits on the external sides and the tip of the barrel (see pictures). The inside of the barrel is clean. There are no martial markings. Any help would be greatly appreciated

"My biggest fear in life is that when I die, My wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them".

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Bruce & Reinhart's "Webley Revolvers" identifies it as an 1886 W. G. Model and states: "The Pryse type of cylinder release was fitted to approximately 500 of the first production models."

The example shown in the book is serial 1651 and chambered for the .476 Enfield Mark III cartridge.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Beautiful gun, too bad about that area at the muzzle. Just FWIW, the not-always accurate Dowell calls it the 1882 Model. That one is a target version as indicated by the front sight. Later models had the slotted screw type cylinder release instead of the Pryse type.

Webleys are always confusing. There was a rumor at one time that Webley once accidentally made two pistols alike, but that is probably not true.

Jim
  4. yuri-nm

yuri-nm New Member

Excellent, and thanks for the information! As the serial is 1844, they are very close. I would think 1 of 500 would make this a little rarer. Still unsure of the value...
  5. yuri-nm

yuri-nm New Member

Thanks for the additional info. "Webleys are always confusing. There was a rumor at one time that Webley once accidentally made two pistols alike, but that is probably not true. certainly made me laugh:)
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Although more commonly the Mark I - VI service models, many imported Webleys had the cylinder face shaved for use with .45 Auto ammo and halfmoon clips, and those that escaped this butchery are worth a premium. If yours has not been altered, the serial number last 3 should remain on the cylinder.

WG's are popular with Webley fans, and search of an online auction shows two sold last 90 days: One arsenal refurb with dull wartime finish sold for $1200 and the other with poorer original finish than yours sold for $1400, both unaltered.
  7. yuri-nm

yuri-nm New Member

No modifications to the clylinder. Here are some additional photo's.

Attached Files:

8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The reason most of those guns were not altered is that they didn't come into the US as war surplus. Most came in after one of two amnesties in the UK in the 1950's and 1960's. HM government gave its subjects the choice of turning in unregistered guns or suffering severe penalties (up to life in prison) if caught with an illegal gun; they also expanded warrantless searches and surprise home invasions to look for guns. Many of the surrendered guns were sold to US importers.

In the more recent handgun ban, guns turned in were destroyed, at the insistence of the insane gun-ban gang that runs the UK today, and inspires some in the Obama administration to follow the example of Britain. Needless to say, the success of the gun ban effort has resulted in the extremists and elitists demanding more and more control, not only over guns, but over the press, business, speech and every other aspect of life in the UK. The odd thing is that the neo-Nazis and the Communists fight each other, but they both want the same thing - a totally controlled populace, bowing to them.

Jim
  9. yuri-nm

yuri-nm New Member

Yup, it was active when i aquired the piece. Since then it has been mitigated.
  10. lew walace

lew walace New Member

cont