Webley Mark I

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ken W, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Ken W

Ken W Member

I discovered a really looking Webley Mark I today. I created a thread about it in the "buy/sale/trade" section. No way in hell I can afford $1,000 but I figure someone might. Certainly wish I could have taken it home though. :(
    Personally I like to hear opinions from anyone about what they think of it and when it might have been made.

There's a lot of pictures in the sale thread that I took.

[​IMG]
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Not a "steal" at that price. 90% in USA have had the cylinder shaved for use with 45ACP in half-moon clips, and the Mark 1 was an 1880s black powder gun, not designed for the higher pressure of 45 Auto and jacketed bullets.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i've been thinking about a webley.. but had heard about the 45acp shaving for headspace. any way to tell by looking at them.. many sellers at shows are clueless .. and I don't usually have a micrometer with me... :)
  4. Ken W

Ken W Member

Yeah, I know it's not exactly a bargain, hence why I'll never have it. It would have to be less than half of that for me to be able to afford it. :( This one supposedly is still in the original .455 caliber. Is there any way to determine the exact manufacture date? Where all of the Mark I pre-1899? If so that will make any transaction much easier with no need of paperwork.
  5. soundguy

anyone still making hte .455 ? perhaps prvi/pmi/pmc/ppu?
  6. Ken W

Ken W Member

Seems that the thread I created in the for sale section has been deleted. Didn't notice that you're not supposed to have "commercial" ads.

Edit: It's just as well since I no longer advise purchasing this. For more info see newer response on page 2 of this thread.

Here's all the rest of the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The excess headspace visible in the side view indicates the cylinder has been shaved, and an unshaved cylinder will still have factory markings on the face as this one does (2nd pic):

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93026214...I/Great-Britain/Webley_Mk_VI_455_Cylinder.htm
  8. soundguy

ahh, so there would be a couple proofs on an un-shaved one.

question.

would it be possible to conver one back to .455 by merely repalcing the cylinder? or are there other changes made as well?

thanks
  9. Ken W

Ken W Member

One company is still making them for sure , as far as I can find anyway, is Fiocchi. They're listed as 455 webley MK-II ammo. Hornady did but not certain if they still do. The ammo is supposed to be very low powered but I would definitely keep in mind that the original Webely revolvers used black powder rounds so it might be best advised to hand load. I'm no authority on this of coarse. They might be fine, just not sure.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...-webley-mk-ii-262-gr-lrn-50-rds.aspx?a=606389
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Sure, but hard to find and not cheap (note price of one I linked)
  11. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

If you could find an original Mk1 cylinder, that would do it. But, then all you would have is a mismatched gun. (The cylinder is also numbered.)
  12. Ken W

Ken W Member

Oh crap, I didn't know that. So this one has been altered. That's a shame. The guy at the shop is no expert in the least either. I'll have to inform him that it has been changed.
  13. Ken W

Ken W Member

Was this the case right from the very first ones? I see that there is no serial number on the cylinder that I took pictures. That's a damn shame if so. Otherwise it's in such great shape. Why did people have to always alter things? Grrrrr.
  14. Ken W

Ken W Member

Looks like the bigger screw, just under the barrel, is probably a replacement too. Look different than all of the others. I just looked at a bunch of pictures of other Mark I's and they show a rounded screw head on them.
  15. soundguy

see.. that's what I've run up against at shows. i knew people were headspacing htem for 45acp and it was common.. but the gus at the shows and shops.. you cna't trust them to know what they are selling.. :(