WEEKENDS OVER........

Discussion in 'VMBB Fire For Effect' started by rooter, May 26, 2009.

1. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    AND OF COURSE, MEMORIAL DAY DIFFERS IN MANY DIFFERENT WAYS FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE....WE OLDER FOLKS RECALL IT WAS DECORATION DAY BEFORE THE NAME CHANGE....HOW WE'D GATHER FRESH BLOOMING LILACS AND PEONAS, AND EVEN VIOLETS FROM THE WILD WOOD, TO PUT ON GRAVISITES OF RELATIVES...THERE WERE THOSE RUSTY IRON FLAG HOLDERS WITH THE LETTERS, 'GAR' ON THEM...YOU'D REMEMBER FROM YEAR TO YEAR WHO'D PUT THE AMERICAN FLAG ON SOME OF THEM AND NOT ON OTHERS...IF YOUR KIN HAD ONE OF THOSE RUSTY LITTLE FLAG HOLDERS ON THEIR GRAVESITE AND NO DESCRIPTIVE TOMBSTONE, YOU'D HEAR THE ARGUMENTS IT IF WERE AUNT MATILIDA'S DRUNKEN HUSBAND FRED WHO'D BEEN IN THE BATTLE OF BULL RUN OR THE WAYWARD BAPTIST PREACHER WILLIAM, WHO HAD BEEN A MILITARY CHAPLAIN AT SOME TERRIBLE SOUTHERN PRISON CAMP IN ALABAMA... SEEMS AS IF THE NEWS MEDIA PICKS UP STORIES EVERY YEAR THAT THE TRUE FEELINGS FEELINGS AREN'T THERE ANY LONGER FOR MEMORIAL DAY...IT'S A DAY FOR CHOWING DOWN WITH BACKYARD BBQ's AND HUSBANDS DRINKING TOO MUCH BEER AND LITTLE KIDS GETTING THAT FIRST SUNBURN....WE AMERICANS WHO HAVE MIGRATED ELSEWHERE FROM CHILDHOOD IN THE MIDWEST NO LONGER HAVE THOSE OLD GRAVESITES TO VISIT, EVEN IF WE WERE INCLINED TO DO SO...YOU DON'T TAKE A COUPLE THOUSAND MILE ODDESSY TO VISIT FRED OR WILLIAMS ANCIENT GRAVESITE...THE OLD IRON FLAGHOLERS HAVE ALL BEEN STOLEN AND SOLD ON E-BAY...THOSE OLD GRANITE TOMBSTONES WITH AN A WEEPING ANGEL ATOP THEM ARE PROBALY NOT AS PLUMB AND STRAIGHT AS THEY WERE BACK IN THE 40's.....YES, I HAD A GOOD DAY YESTERDAY---A NICE WEEKEND...VISITED WITH KIN AND FRIENDS...WATCHED A NEIGHBORS HOME WHILE HE AND HIS WIFE AND LITTLE KIDS WENT OFF TO THE MOUNTAIN FOR THE WEEKEND...FED THE KIDS GUEINA PIG AND DESERT TURTLE FOR THEM...FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I WATCHED A TURTLE EAT A LETTUCE LEAF...HEARD A GUEINA PIG WHISTLE AT ME...DID YOU KNOW TURTLES HAVE CLAWS....HOLD DOWN THAT LETTUCE LEAF WHILE CHOWING DOWN....SMACK THEIR LIPS WHEN THEY CHEW...AND THAT NECK SURE HAS A LOT OF WRINKLES.... ON CLOSING OFF THIS MEMORIAL DAY PERIOD, PLEASE LET ME REMIND YOU TO RMEMBER THE TROOPS AND THEIR FAMILIES WITH PRAYERS....MAKES NO MATTER HOW YOU DO IT---JUST SOME PLEASANT AND PRAYERFUL THOUGHTS WILL DO.... Chief
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Amen cheif, like most of our holidays it seems some of us have lost the true idea of what it is about.May the Lord Grant peace to those we lost in our wars and protect those that fight them now.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    As I watched the Military Channels documenteries yesterday, safe in my home, I couldn't help but think of our troups over seas. My prayers go out for all of them.