Weichold rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by transmission jockey, Nov 29, 2006.

1. transmission jockey

transmission jockey New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I recently inherited a large black power rifle. It was made in Cincinnati by the Weichold Arms Company. It appears to be a 70 cal. bench rest type rifle. It weighs around 35 pounds and has a 45" octagon barrel. The hammer is under the barrel. Any information on the value would help. The stock and mechanics are perfect with slight surface rust on the barrel. Any help would be great MIke
  2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

welcome TJ
    can't help you but what is that on end of barrel-some body with smarts should be along shortly
  3. transmission jockey

transmission jockey New Member

I believe it is called a false muzzle. Not sure what it is used for.
  4. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

I'm not familiar with this particular gun, but it appears it was made in the 19th century. However, the stock design is not of that period, and appears to me to made of a stock blank intended for a Savage 99. The rear sight is obviously 20th century. The false muzzle BTW is to protect the muzzle, which is the most critical part of a barrel, as it is the last thing the bullet "sees".
    An interesting old rifle. :)
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Trannie man, You have, by the pics and description, inherited a pretty nice 'chunk gun', of fairly high quality, judging by the false muzzle, as these are work to make, and never seen on cheap 'front stuffers', though the caliber is kinda large, for the purpose the rifle is obviously intended.
    The 'underhammer' action is similar to a "Mac Keraghan" stamped action, sitting on my desk, and designed to be a 'direct ignition' action, allowing the flame from the cap to go directly into the charge, with no twists, or turns, from cap to powder.
    The stock, a sheutzen style, and the extended rear sight, along with your description, pertaining to weight, lead me to believe it was built as an 'Unlimited' class rifle, for NMLRA competition.
    Hope this helps a bit.
  6. eweichold

eweichold New Member

I know this is well past the fact, but does anyone know any information about the weichold arms company? I would greatly appreciate any information about them that i can find out.
  7. ldinkins

ldinkins New Member

I know about the weichold arms. My grandpa Jackbweichold made that gun. My mother used to help in the process in down town cincinnati. My grandmother Rose weichold recently passed away. But if you need more information about the gun and history email me and I will put you incontact with my mom and grandpa jacks best friend. Thanks. Larry D.