weight of finished reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunter29180, Apr 19, 2012.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

OK! while i understand somewhat the thought process you all are telling me. You guys have created a snafu here..ie I dont cast my bullets..so when I buy my bullets< if I order say 200 grain, I expect them to weigh 198-202 grains. with cost at $13 per hundred its not much but if each bullet weighs (as you seem to suggest) from 290 -209 grains the either im gettig ripped or the company is losing money and will be out of business soon!

and I know the brass manufactures have better quality control than to have large variences as copper for the brass is quite expensive also!

so other than the brass the 2 biggest weight variables shoud be bullet and powder right?
    so weighing all may 45colt brass I found a varience of 3 grains from lightest to the heavest. weighing all my cast bullets, I found a varience of 5 grains from lightest to heavest (250 rnf cast)..so if i paired the heavest case and the heavest bullet then i still only have a varience of 4 grains over expected..since I load 5.5 grains of TB, weighing would be at upper end of weight for a possible overcharge. conversly if I paired the 2 lightest I would get the same result as a possible under charge. neither would cause me to reject the finished product. may cause me to set aside for use in my derringer but otherwise accsptable.

now as mentioned before if home cast then this would have to be thrown out the window.

now is this extra weigh nessary...NO!...but for a beginning reloader could it help..well the jury out ..because as you have pointed out..there are some huge variables involved!

so I will not ust this method unless I get really ANAL and beging to shoot matches at 1000 yds! :)

thanks all as I really thought this may have been a good Idea when suggested to me!
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

hunter29180, I think that you have a good understanding of the subject.

I will make two additional and/or repeated comments. First, difference between Match Grade ammo and poor quality ammo is consistency. The Benchrest shooters and top NRA Pistol and Rifle shooters are fanatics about consistency which is time consuming and expensive.

Second, powder measures vary greatly in cost and their ability to meter consistent charge weights. However, there is a lot more skill in operating a powder measure, so that it meters within narrow limits, than most persons imagine. The key is consistency in operation. Powder in the hopper should be maintained within rather narrow limit levels. The way the metering handle is cycled can also be very important.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

On the other hand, if you want to weigh the finished cartridges please do so. I still think that you are blowing smoke up a dead horse but??? I once heard a definition of quality control as process variability control. The only part of the process over which you have direct control is powder weight. You can exert indirect variability of a component by 100% inspection and set limits imposed on bullet weight and case capacity (not weight although there some feel there is a correlation). As said, some bench rest and long range shooters will do this to the point of using the same cases, barely resized, until worn out. Don't forget to use bench rest grade primers and match grade bullets if you go to this trouble. Now let's talk about bullet concentricity (run out) in the loaded case and seating depth (OAL) vs. throat leade, etc., etc, ad infinitum.
  4. RandyP

RandyP Member

To Hunter - the 'easiest' way for you to accomplish your goal (and in truth it isn't MY goal-lol) will be to weigh a single brass case, a single bullet and a single primer, then use those three specific components in your reloading press, then weigh the completed round. The difference in weight between the three components and the final round weight WILL be the powder.

You can then proceed to make a second round.

Foolproof procedure and you will easily be able to churn out several rounds per hour.

Me? I make 150-175 rounds per hour on my Lee Classsic turret and check powder volume level in every case visually as I set the bullet on the case. Other folks use a progressive and make hundreds of rounds per hour.

YOU get to choose how deliberate and slow you reload. It isn't a race or anything and you can be as anal as suits yer fancy and makes you happy. I would suggest that using your "weigh everything" method there is NO need for you to own anything beyond a single stage press.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Either one of us has been watching the other reload, or we both went to the same school!