Weird phone calls I've been getting.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, Dec 7, 2011.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

So last night, my cell phone rings.

Me: "Hello"

Robot sounding voice: "This is Globaltel". "An inmate at the Mobile co. correctional facility is attempting to place a person to person collect call to this number. If you will accept, press one. If you do not wish to accept, press two".

Obviously, I did not accept. For one thing, how could you accept a collect call to a cell-phone anyway, - not a land line? For another, I don't have any acquaintances in jail. For another, why was MY number the one called?
    Then this morning I get the same call. Over the past year, I have had this same call probably four or five times. I'm just wondering, what is going on?

Anybody here ever had this happen to you?

Weird!

2. medalguy

medalguy Member

Yeah we get calls sometimes from the local jail, usually at ungodly hours. My guess is the people calling are having a little trouble seeing the right numbers on the phone dial, very possibly alcohol induced.

I also was told by someone a while back that there's some kind of scam the callers pull wherein if you accept the call, they will ask you to dial something on your phone that allows them to make more calls using your number somehow. I don't know about how that works, but I don't plan on accepting any jail calls at all. Oh, to my brother: If you read this, and land in jail for something, don't call me. I ain't answering. :eek: :D:D:D
  3. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I remember of a scam similar to this and cannot remember the details, but it is from a prisoner and if you do accept, the prisoner can then make calls to anywhere using your account somehow. You are right to not accept ANY of these calls. I know that if any of my friends get in trouble they will call me on cell phone PRIOR to getting locked up. (Not that my friends are trouble makers LOL)
  4. bakerconch

bakerconch New Member

5. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

notify the Local agency and let them know about it also.
  6. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

First of all, my voice does not sound like that!!!:bleh:

Seriously I would think hanging up even a better option rather than any response to a likely scam.
  7. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Does the caller ID say it is from the prison? If yes, then I would call the prison and have them investigate who made the calls. All calls are probably recorded (they are at the prison I work at). They can match up the time on your caller id and number to an inmate who made the calls. From there the prison will probably have some disciplinary action taken on the inmate. Hope that helps :)
  8. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

You sure your number didn't show up n a bathroom stall somewhere........ :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  9. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

It could be a scam to somehow get your number to pay for the call and he would talk to someone else at a different number. Like call fowarding.
  10. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

bakerconch - Thanks for the link. Sounds like the scam described.

Dennis C - Good idea!

And jlloyd...............oh good Lord!!!

If it was the ladies room at the Playboy mansion, I wouldn't mind!

11. medalguy

medalguy Member

Maybe the bathroom at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.:eek:
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have had two family members in prison in the past, no way I was going to accept calls from them, much less some one I don't know!! Even with the legit calls from a prison, they charge something like $2.00 a minute to your land line phone.
  13. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

My wife's ex is in prison, he called shortly after she and I got married, for some reason he hung up after asking who I was when I replied "her new husband"...

But he didn't call collect, I know he's in prison in the same state as we are, but clear across to the other side. Hard telling.

Most times if the phone rings and it doesn't come up with a name that's in my contacts, it keeps ringing till it goes to voicemail...
  14. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    YUP-----Unidenifed,,800,, or Dont know the name I WONT Answer either!
  15. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I belong to the American Legion. I got a call yesterday from some female wanting to sell me insurance. There is NO way an outsider can get my phone number. I went off on her for calling me, and asked her where she got my number. From the Legion!!!!

They sell member information. That sucketh.