The Firearms Forum banner

Weird problem with 40 reload. Need help

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
My fired reloads have a bulge in the middle. I found this out by checking them with a Wilson gauge. The only reason I checked them was because these were my first attempt at 40mm. The brass I am using is my own using Federal ammo. I checked the Federal fired cases and there is no bulge. The same cases display a bulge after I reload and fire them. Same gun.
I am using a Hornady progressive press with Hornady dies. The gun is a SA xp40. Powder is hp-38. I have tried 4.2 4.3 4.4 and 4.5 grains. Bullets are remington 180gr fmj. Col 1.125. After reload they plunk into the Wilson gauge. What am I doing wrong? Why should the production fired cases have no bulge and the same reloaded cases bulge.
I dont see this problem with my 9mm or 45 reloads.

#2 ·
i'm not familiar with that pistol.. but is it one of them that has a partially unsuported chamber?

if so.. perhaps as of the 2nd fireing, the brass is geting worked enough to stretch? again.. don't know your gun chamber setup.

your relaods had no bulge when they left the press /die correct?

#6 ·
I am planning on reloading some 40sw, was going thru some notes I had and came across these. One has a source for the note and the other does not.
-
Here is an article re 180 grains in 40cal:
http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm
-
Here is a post from somewhere:
.40 S&W ammunition is very sensitive to bullet setback with the 180 grain loading being the most sensitive. Even relatively small amounts of bullet setback in this loading can cause chamber pressures during firing to rise to unsafe levels.
-
I recently had a problem with one of my calipers not reading accurately. I ordered a standard to eliminate that issue.
-
So you measured them before firing. After firing one round, did you measure the others in the mag to see if they changed in OAL?

#7 ·
I've battled the 40S&W bulge for a couple of years. Using 3 pistols and 1 carbine in this caliber. None of the chambers are fully supported and each firearm yields different measurements after firing a factory cartridge. The base bulge, IMO, is the most dangerous and that is where my LEE dies just don't go down far enough. Bottom line - After sizing I run ALL cases through a sizing block (backwards and forwards). For those that don't fully drop in they go through a bulge buster. Most correct but those that don't - trash bin. One forum member correctly recommends the Redding sizing die. Since I already had purchased the LEE bulge buster I haven't invested in the Redding. Good Luck.

#8 ·
Hayrake: I don't reload 40mm, but I'm wondering... I do that a lot. This is a problem that makes no sense. If I'm reading your post correctly, the loads you make yourself are showing the bulge, but factory ammo doesn't. Hoe old are your dies? It should be impossible to make a case that exceeds standard dimensions, but there are places where this is done fairly routinely. Taffy and Ginger are both looking forward to a visit.

#9 ·
Interesting post, good info. I am using my home cast 175 TC with 5.1 grs of 231, heavy enough, but safe. Good taper crimp and appropriate COAL, and no probs. Not fun in the lighter guns though. Many reloadings, no bulges.

#11 ·
I would still like to see a picture of the bulge and would like to know if it is there before it is sized or if it is a result of the sizing process. Mr. Hayrake must not be very concerned with it since it has been a week and he has not checked back in to see the answers!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.