Welcome back Pinecone

Discussion in 'The Pump House Saloon' started by Double D, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad to see ya back. I had left a question for you in the 1911 forum but it is drifting away so I wanted to ask you about your EMP 40 and see how much you have fired it and if you have had any problems so far. I am looking at possibly getting one.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Well, thank you Double D. It is good to be back, as I am shamelessly addicted to the forums. LOL!

I will eventually get caught up with the reading here, but it may take a while. I do enjoy my EMP, and I especially like the caliber. I had some problems with the first couple hundred rounds getting caught by the extractor, it held on pretty tight and I had to clear brass every shot, but it got much better after a bit of breaking in; it may have been the cheap Korean ammo I used, I'm not sure. Runs like a well-tuned machine now. I hadn't wanted to spend that kind of money initially, but I am very glad I did for that particular brand and model. I missed it while I was out of town, next time I will probably take it along.
  3. Double D

OK, So the first couple hundred. How many would you estimate you have put thru it? And what ammo did you change to?
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Hmm. I have probably run about 400 rounds through it so far, sadly. The first ones were the Korean brand, the edges of the cases were a different shape than the Blazer brass, which works very well. Another problem was that I did not lube it before the first trip to the range, it was kind of dry. All in all, it's a nice shooter with a manageable recoil, it's heavy too. It seems to like Blazer brass, I bought a pile of Federal 180gr. FMJ, but have not gotten to try those yet. I really have to find an indoor range so I can keep shooting this winter.
  5. Double D

Well, I have a taurus 24/7 in 40 cal that I like alot. I prefer the 45 but like the 40 pretty good. I would be willing to bet your problem was the ammo. I bought my colt defender a while back and have run about 500 thru it without a hickup. I also had replaced my mags with wilson combats right away but didnt have any problems with the stock ones. The EMPs have been calling my name for quite some time now and I am about to answer the call.
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I am impressed with Springfield. Lifetime guarantee was the push that made me purchase it, three mags came with it too. The compact .45 is intriguing to me, my gun's manual has the instructions for that model too.
  7. Double D

Yea, my supplier is out of the 45.
  8. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

That's a good sign, but kind of annoying at the same time.

Gee, I want to go gun shopping now, big surprise! Haha.
  9. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

You mention "the Korean brand" multiple times. Is this PMC? Just curious.
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Yes, that's the one! I forgot what it was called.
  11. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Thanks for the info. I've only used PMC in .223 and have always had good luck with it. Pretty much the cheapest brass cased ammo you can buy most places. I will likely try it in a few handguns soon and I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it affects reliability.
  12. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

There was a tiny difference in the shape of the case, on the edge, it was not something most people would even notice. I compared a few and it was kind of obvious with the way they got stuck. I'm sure other calibers are fine, it's not bad ammo.