Well, I did it

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by dons2346, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Finally got back to my state of residence so I could purchase a 45. I went to the store with a pocket full of cash, well a credit card anyway, intent on a Kimber. After playing with them I ask about a Colt and they just happened to have a Combat Elite. It isn't in the same category as a Kimber carry gun but it felt better so it has a new home. This is the first time in 40 years that I have held a 45!

Got it back to the motorhome,field stripped it and found it really clean. I don't think there was any lube at all on it so it got some SBGO (brought it with me just in case) and put back together. Now to get back to WA so I can hit the range.

It was really nice to be able to go into a gun store, pick out a handgun and walk out with it an hour later. None of this 15 day wait stuff.

It was so much fun, I think I'll buy something else before leaving.
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

EXCELLENT choice, congrats!!
  3. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Nice purchase congrats. These can get habit forming too.
    To me any 1911/45acp that functions/cycles is a good one no matter what the brand or cost.

I want to get a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm its on my wish list(someday) i'll get it.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Congrats on the Combat Elite.

I have had a couple and liked them.

Don't forget pictures and a range report. :)
  5. 1911 man

1911 man New Member

Congrats,I also have a combat elite and love it. Its my most accurate gun and has never had a feeding problem ever
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My puter must be broke... I cant see the pictures...:tapfoot:
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I can see the picture in my head. :D

I turned my Combat Elite into a real tack driver with a little work and a trigger job. I was shooting it at the range one day and another shooter was there. He stopped shooting to watch me then asked if he could fire a few rounds. He fired 5 rounds, reached in his pocket and layed $800 on the bench and said "is that enough ?" He walked away with my Combat Elite.

I unzipped my range bag and removed an old Springfield I had worked and finished my range session. :)
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Great story sam. I would have taken the 8 C-notes and went and picked up 2 more entry level 1911s to build up..;)
  9. dons2346

Nope, it ain't broke. I'm on the road and the wifey left the good camera at home. The only thing I have is the phone and the pix aren't that great. Anyway, I thought everyone knows what a Colt looks like
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Congrats ! Where are you going to shoot up in Wa? I'll be up there in Aug and was thinking about bringing a couple of handguns with me, but I'm still not sure if I want to deal with the hassles.
  11. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Congrats Don, hope it's the first of many!
  12. dons2346

Congrats ! Where are you going to shoot up in Wa? I'll be up there in Aug and was thinking about bringing a couple of handguns with me, but I'm still not sure if I want to deal with the hassles.

I live in Birch Bay, almost to the border on the wet side. There is a gun range in Lynden that is handy.

Where and when will you be there in Aug? We are on our way to Hogger's city for a motorhome convention and I won't be back in WA until the 19th or so. Sure hope Hogger has all the union whiners and moaners cleared out before we get there.