The Firearms Forum banner

Well, I finally did it!

12K views 112 replies 16 participants last post by  CampingJosh 
#1 ·
I have always wanted a suppressor. I have several AR15s. All are 5.56 and 3-4 of them are able to accept the same suppressor. I ordered one for 5.56 and decided to go ahead and get one for 45 1911. Now, the wait begins...

#3 · (Edited)
Cost at the distributor plus $200 a tax stamp for each one. You fill out the paperwork, the dealer sends it in for approval and you wait.

Figured you were up to something like that DoubleD when I saw your thread looking for a threaded 1911 barrel.

#4 ·
DoubleD, when you get the one for the 1911, please post as to how much it reduces sound. I for one am curious to know.

#6 ·
With a suppressor on the 5.56 it should be pretty much whisper quiet. Not so sure about on the 1911 though.

#9 ·
I am not 1oo% sure, but I just don't think you could have an existing 1911 barrel threaded, I just don't think there would be enough metal on it to thread!

When I got my .22 suppressor, I had the barrel on my .17Mach2 threaded by Helix and I bought a threaded barrel for the 10/22. I also bought a Ruger Mark II with threaded barrel and I bought a bolt action Savage Mark II rifle with threaded barrel. I will never buy another .22 without it being threaded.

With a suppressor on the 5.56 it should be pretty much whisper quiet. Not so sure about on the 1911 though.
I would think that the .45 would be quieter than the 5.56. The .45 is already a subsonic round where the 5.56 is not.

#10 ·
Ah. I seen where Dan was gonna buy one, and has several already. That explains it. I don't know what my barrel length is. I'll get up off the couch, eventually, and check. Is there a set length?
Apparently suppressors are the same length.
I'd be nice to have that 'whisper'.

#18 ·
So they can't be bought on-line? Sorry bout the questions, but I've thought about one since I got the AR, and this is sounding good.
If it's 16" barrel, the flash suppressor comes off and the can goes on (both 1/2"×28 thread). If it's a 14 1/2" barrel, the flash suppressor makes up the other 1 1/2" and will be pinned so it can't be removed.
TY..

#20 ·
I have wanted one forever but just never wanted to spend the money for one. There is a guy that lives about 5 minutes from me has has a gunshop in his garage. I did not know he was a class III dealer until I saw an advertisement for the .22 suppressor on the local trade forum. He was having a sale on the .22 suppressors so I went over and talked to him about the process of buying one. It is a long drawn out process and the little .22 suppressor ended up costing $571.20 after all was said and done.

The suppressor itself was $171.20 (with sales tax)
The government tax was $200.
The lawyer for my Trust was $200.

#23 ·
I looked at some on-line. They were running between 4-5 hundred dollars. I'd love to have one, wouldn't mind the tax stamp at all,but...I could buy another AR with what it looks like just the suppressor is going to cost.

#24 ·
I had a Living Trust (Moody's NFA Trust) made up so that when I die, I can leave the suppressor to my son and then my grandson. They will not have to complete any forms and will not have to pay the $200 tax for it to be in their name, the trust takes care of that.

In Georgia, for any NFA item you have to get a letter from the chief law enforcement officer in your city or county to attach to the ATF Form 4 (request for tax stamp) that is sent to the ATF. With the living trust, that requirement is done away with. If I want another NFA item such as another suppressor or machine gun, I can just add it to this trust and just pay the tax and for the item itself, and it is automatically left to my s0n and grandson on my death.

#32 ·
You cannot buy a suppressor online, you have to visit a Class III dealer!! The dealer get's the item for a lot less than shown on their website, therefore he passes the savings on to his customer!

For instance, the MSRP on the one I bought shows up as $199 on the Huntertown website, I paid $160 plus tax so the dealer sure as heck didn't pay that much for it or he would be out of business pretty quickly.

If I go to MidwayUSA and see the price of $155 for, let's say, a scope, I do not quibble over the price, I just pay the $155. If I go to my LGS and see the same scope for $155 then I will quibble with him, and I will get a lower price.

#36 · (Edited)
I didn't examine the details as listed on the manufacturers website I was on, but they had it all there for buying one from them.

This is the text from the suppressor site for buying one:

Once you know you can legally own a suppressor, and you know how you're going to register it, it's time to go shopping!

The process of actually buying the suppressor online is similar to buying something from Amazon.com, or any other online retailer, with only two major differences:
  1. We can't ship a suppressor directly to your house (unless you live in Texas).
  2. You won't be able to take possession of the suppressor until the transfer has been approved by the NFA Branch. You can check out the current wait times on this page - but most suppressor owners will agree that it's well worth the wait!
Be sure to check out the specific page for the registration method you're choosing so you'll know what information we need after you make the purchase.

After you go through the process the first time, you'll realize that there really isn't much to it. The hardest part is that "Kid Before Christmas" feeling while waiting on the ATF!

#37 ·
If only our elected officials had paid attention to the "...Shall not be infringed." part of the Constitution they swore to uphold, we wouldn't be paying any tax for these. You could buy them at a local hardware store. Or make 'em yourself.

#38 ·
Ok. You CAN buy a suppressor on line. Go to thesilencershop.com and find what you want, pay for it and have it shipped to a dealer near you. Since I am an FFL, they are shipping me the suppressors and then I will transfer them into my trust I had set up. I still have to wait like everyone else. George had his done electronically but they arent doing that right now so I will have to submit my form 4s for each suppressor. As for the length and size of suppressors, they are all different. You will get the most out of the longer ones. As for the mounting system, the 5.56 one comes with a special flash hider that you put on in place of the factory flash hider and the can attaches to the hider with a spring loaded click system. I ordered 2 extra hiders to mount on other guns so I can quickly detach and reattach to other guns. As for the 45, it screws directly onto the threaded barrel. The 5.56 one is made by Yankee Hill and the 45 one is made by Advanced Armament. Right now, Advanced is offering a 200.00 credit for each suppressor you buy so you can get extra gear from them. Pretty cool.

#39 ·
Oh yea, setting up a trust cost me 225.00 but it allows me to buy without getting a local law enforcement to sign off on it and you dont have to get finger printed or send in photos. I have my wife as a co-trustee so she will have full control of the units with me or if I die. My son in law is the successor trustee and will inherit anything in the trust if we both die. This can be changed later on if you choose but it allows them to possess the items without application. I like that. They can also sell them if they wish.

#75 ·
Now that makes a lot of sense! Is there any annual paperwork that the trust has to file such as tax forms or something? Doesn't the entire trust get inherited by your son in law as the successor trustee and couldn't your daughter become the co-trustee?

#40 ·
I didn't see this mentioned, so....
Cleaning a suppressor---is it necessary?

When you search for a suppressor, ask what the cleaning procedures are.
Some can be taken apart to clean the baffles, some are fully welded.

The centerfire suppressors rarely need cleaning. Usually only carbon buildup
which sorta gets blown out with another shot.

The rimfire suppressors obviously get dirtier with additional lead and wax.
It will take many rounds to get to a point of worry though. Also a certain level
of 'dirty' will make it a little quieter, but overtime a suppressor will weigh a
little more than when it was new.

Some suppressors are steel, steel and aluminum, etc.......I don't have any of those
anymore, and didn't have them for very long.

The only ones I have now are all tianium.
What little they have been cleaned, I normally use a peroxide and vinegar solution.
I can also put them in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Just ask the manufacturer about cleaning before you buy, so you don't find out
later it wasn't what you thought or expected.

Obviously the titanium suppressors will cost more.

#41 ·
Thanks for clarifying that for me, Dan. I really thought that you would have to visit a dealer in person to buy such a controlled item. I guess I should have know that a person can buy ANYTHING on the internet.

I have seen the baffles on eBay, go figure!!

The "instructions" that came with mine (it is aluminium, BTW) says that it should be cleaned every 1000 rounds. I can put 100 rounds through mine and it is terribly filthy.

#42 ·
Ive seriously considered getting a suppressor for my bedside gun.

I really like the silencerco osprey (sp?).

Shots fired indoors without ear pro (home defense situation) is no bueno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.