Well iam taking the plunge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by justsomeguy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

Guys iam putting together a store and i need help with a initial order of stock. I dont have a unlimited check book but lets face it there are essentials every good gun shop should have can you help with this?
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The stores that I frequent most all have reloading supplies. The basics is a good place to start. Brass, bullets, primers (popular item), and of course the popular powders (Unique, WIN 296, Bullseye, etc). I use Hornady products but I have to admit that RCBS seems to be the popular out of the bunch. If funds are limited I would stock mostly RCBS, but I would have the ability to get stuff overnight ed that I did not stock and as time progressed I would begin carrying more lines of products. Dillon sure is a popular brand. One thing I will add to that is Lee sure is affordable so I would try to carry their line because they are pretty commonplace as well.

Are you going to deal in buying/ reselling used reloading e.q. such as presses, and brass (guys will bring it in from the range and you can buy it in bulk and resale it).

Guns of course, but are you going to deal in used. That is another thing that brings me in probably more than anything else.

I would consider buying from you. I am excited for you.
  3. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm with Jim. I won't go back to a store that doesn't have reloading supplies. No if I'm in a serious gun market I'll go back to check prices. But just to drool, nope. Only if they sell reloading stuff
  4. 76Highboy

One thing that will drive me away from a store (I doubt you will do this because it is something that the big chain liberal stores do) is when they carry only long guns and no handguns. Oh ya, and when I see a cable through all the rifle's and locks on every gun I am out of their for good.

I am assuming you are a REAL gun guy so you will sell it all.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Prepare to spend a pile of cash and never have what you need. Its a tough business.
  6. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

I will defenitly have used firearms reloading is something i didnt consider much but now is a absolut must thanks.....This is why i posted this.
  7. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

Do ya think i am better with 70% accessories and 30% firearms or less or more and remember iam talking a just opening after i hope the sky is the limit.
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You need to know what folks want around your area. Around here they shoot a lot of trap and skeet. Handguns are also popular. You need to identify what people in your area want. Good luck...
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

And not to forget........
    basic calibers of ammo........
    AND A COUNTER DISPLAY OF ........
    SBGO...... !!!!!

http://silverbulletgunoil.net/

A must have.......no worries....
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  10. 1969SS396

1969SS396 Member

Reloading supplies a big plus for me too. Cables through guns suck too, let customers handle guns, I walked out of the local Gander Mountain a while back cause the "manager" didn't like it when I "racked" the action on a nice 870 I had money in my pocket to purchase that day.

I'm a fellow "Michigander" I'd be happy to stop in your store sometime when you get it up and running. Let us know where you're at.
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont know what to tell you. Its a tough business. I stocked around 50 plus pistols at all times and never had what people were looking for. You have to have hundreds of holsters and a pile of ammo and then theres people looking for reloading equip, scopes, lazers, flashlights, and more. And most people have shopped the internet prices before they come to you. Good luck, I closed my store 4 months ago.
  12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

And you surely must have someone knowledgeable
    who can 'cover' the reload area......
    not just the 'stuff'.
    Doesn't necessarily have to be any expert on ALL
    calibers.......but...hmmmmm.
  13. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

It's a fun and rewarding business.....
    a cake-walk into town....
    right, Dan ?
  14. 76Highboy

From what I have seen is the guy that has a lot of cash to throw into a LGS as a business does well provided that either he, or the guy that is behind the counter "Knows" gun values. A guy that does not know gun values can drive a LGS into "Red Tape" real quick if he is the one buying the used guns for the LGS. Then, the little guy who is putting every penny into a LGS who relies on immediate profits to put food on the table seem to fail the most.

That is why for me I would deal in used guns because if you know your values, know your guns, and you can hold your ground as opposed to selling everything low to make a buck you will have a better chance as opposed to just selling new. The LGS are held hostage (if you will) to the surplus demand that is manipulated by the bigger aggressive chain stores, but if you learn to deal honest with both buying and selling then you can make a used/new LGS work because you will always have access to picking up and flipping the new guns. The percentage of used/new guns I don't know. I knew a guy that had 400+ handguns so he decided to open his own LGS (this was around 1988 if I had to guess). So he opens his shop (I never saw it) with new and used guns. He was gone in about a two years and flat broke (this what a gun salesman told me that worked for Intermountain Arms and they went out of business too).

I currently have a friend that runs a very successful gun/pawn shop in Emmett, Idaho. He did very well and then moved to Marsing, Idaho. He got out of there before it tanked him. He went back to Emmett and as far as I know he is doing good again. He is a small guy in the gun world BUT, he always has a sweet used selection and people come to see that.

The morale is this, the guy that had 400+ handguns went out of business because he did not know gun values. Sure he had bought them new over the years, but any gun owner worth his salt in gun values will take a business owner in a gun deal quick. That is why he failed because he did not know values. As for my friend in Emmett, his name is Steve. He will look you in the eye, tell you the FAIR value, deal fairly with you and thank you for your business. He is successful because he knows gun values.

Hope that helps.
  15. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Your in Detroit and want to open up a gun shop?