The Firearms Forum banner

Well the new Taurus PT1911

Tags
5K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  glens67 
#1 · (Edited)
has Problems. I set up a 25 yard target and firing Winchester White box 230gr HB. I fired the first clip on a 100 yard sight in target.... NO hits???
My son was with me and said that all of the rounds went into the bottom of the target board, I was shooting with a rest. Well I loaded another mag and put the 8 rounds in to the same place... Checked the fired rounds and every primer was struck about 1/16" to 3/32" out of center. Field stripped the Taurus and checked the assembly (I had already cleaned the factory grease,and inspected assembly prior to firing.) everything was assembled correctly. Loaded and shot another mag and exact same outcome. 16" to 18" low. Also fired some Federal Hydra-shock with the same impact point. (My son complemented me on my groups, Said "Dad if you hold center mass that Perp would have no Junk left.." ) All of the expended rounds had the firing pin dent out of center of the primer. Loaded up my Dads Ithaca 1911 and fired 7 rounds into the target and they were all 1" above the target center about 3" group. The Taurus is on the way back to them for repair.
No jams or FTF. Nice Trigger. The gun shop that sold me the gun is handling the return. I am Dissapointed. We will see what Taurus does.
The shop has a Remington R1 for $699.00

See less See more
#4 ·
Taurus should take care of it for you, let us know . That ithaca has the longest trigger I have ever seen

#5 · (Edited)
The remington R1 for 699.00 is kinda high. Also, I have a taurus 1911 and it is a real shooter. I wouldnt give up. I sure dont get what your problem is. I have never heard of anything like it before.

#6 ·
I have a Taurus PT58 that shoots low, but not that low! That's just crazy! I'm looking forward to finding out what Taurus will do for you.

#7 ·
Ehat is that strange trigger in the Ithaca?
Both my Dad and I have long fingers. He had the Divisional Armorer modify the trigger for him. Done around 1943. It is actually very confortable to shoot.

#8 ·
Picture of fired brass

#9 ·
How would the strikes being off center effect accuracy? No elevation adjustment on those sights?

#10 ·
How would the strikes being off center effect accuracy? No elevation adjustment on those sights?
Yea but 16-18" low? Thats not a sight adjustment, thats just crazy.

#11 ·
Oh chit...I went back and reread the OP. I thought he said he was shooting @ 100 yds.:eek:

#12 ·
Yea but 16-18" low? Thats not a sight adjustment, thats just crazy.
Yeah, something's not right.

And I thought it was just me, but Dan, I think you are right to on the R1. I thought mine was shooting a mite high.

#13 ·
I was just talking to Sam and we talked about this. He was saying he has had one to shoot 8" low and I have had one shoot 5" low and the sights could be adjusted or cut down to make up for the difference. But, 18" low sounds like a barrel problem or something of that nature to me. Please do not mistake me for an expert, I am not an expert and have never claimed to be and never will claim to be. So, some of you experts can chime in here and set me straight if you wish. I have NEVER seen a sight problem lead to an 18" off target problem at that distance. But, there is always a first time.

#14 ·
Strange indeed. I would have done the "long link - short link" test. Then made sure the barrel lugs and hood were fitting the slide properly. Next would be to inspect the barrel crown for damage or inconsistency. Then I would have measured the front sight height.
Those primer strikes aren't that far off center but they should be centered with a properly fitted barrel.
I'm sure Taurus will take care of the problem.
Be sure to let us know what was going on with your 1911.

#15 ·
Well I would have played around with it, but brand new, I want it fixed. Taurus may have more out there. If the lock up allowed the rear of the barrel to set high then every thing is down hill.

#16 ·
It's been 3 weeks and Taurus still hasn't started the repair on it.... I want my gun...

#18 · (Edited)
Just recieved the 1911 back. I AM PISSED OFF.
They replaced the slide and said that the accuracy was contributed to a weak groove. They also included a target to verify accuracy 3" group at 25 yards.

Now what pissed me off.
This is was a brand new pistol, no scratches, no mars, or dings. This is what I got back (pictures). I'm not anal or a prima donna, BUT my Dad taught me respect and appreciation for fire arms, (I have the knots still on my head, and I'm 60 years old,) and how to dissasemble a 1911 with out scratching the slide lock on the frame . Nothing pisses me off like seeing this.

The slide is scratched and mared

I will be making a phone call to Taurus tomorrow and I going up the ladder till I get satisfaction.

I am still pissed...

I don't mind honest ware and story marks, but flat out disrespect for a new firearm is unforgivable.

:AR15firing::rant:

#19 ·
Good luck. I wrote the CEO of Taurus a letter about his company's inability to repair my mil pro 145. Four trips to Taurus and the thing still would not feed a full mag. I got no reply. They really don't care. Will never buy another Taurus product!

#21 ·
That really is unacceptable.

#22 ·
Well a little digging and I found the e-mail address of the President of Taurus Mark Kresser. If the phone call does not go well then he will get a nasty gram

#24 ·
That is really a shame. No firearm that goes to a factory should come back looking worse than when they went in. I have seen a lot of Ruger guys on RFC say their Ruger semiautos or single sixes went in for "whatever" and came back looking brand new. I have never had to send a weapon back, but I have good service on parts and things from a couple of the other old time firms.

I have an R1 (Remington) that was shooting about 6 inches low at 25 yards, as has been reported, but I tightened my grip and tried to watch my sight picture and had the last group about 2 inches low and 3-4 inches in diameter. I thought that was outstanding for the first time shootina a .45 and the first time to the range with it. See the last 5-6 holes right at 6 o:clock.

I hope you get a new weapon back. From a WAG point of view, I would bet your barrel bushing was out of round.

#25 ·
From a WAG point of view, I would bet your barrel bushing was out of round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.