Well, the wife wants a deer rifle...

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/24/02 12:25:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Well, the wife wants a deer rifle...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Somewhat to my surprise, my lovely wife has expressed a desire to go hunting this year. Excellent! So, she has commissioned me to build her new rifle...

I gotta find a short action Remington. Just happen to have a 7mm barrel around here I can chamber to 7mm/08 Ackley Improved, lay in about six barrel flutes, finish out at 24" or so... HS-Precision composite stock.... rework the trigger... matte-blue the metal... Conetrol rings.... Shepherd scope....

Crap, I might have to keep that one. Now I still gotta find one for her!

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/24/02 1:03:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Deer rifle for the wife
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like this could turn into a LOOOOOOONG project!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/24/02 1:08:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Deer rifle for the wife
    Sounds like a great setup to me, Doc!

Ain't nuttin' wrong with the 7-08 AI - should be more than adequate for everything in Texas, and then some!

'Course, I'm sorta partial to the .264's and .284's.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/24/02 1:33:51 pm)
    Never seen a Texas deer, that a .243 wouldn`t dispatch. Light kicker and flat shooting. Have downed a many with one shot....in their tracks. One inch behind the shoulder, one inch below the spine.....stakes them. Texas deer are small and there ain`t many bean fields either. LTS

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/25/02 7:56:22 am)
    isn't a 24" barrel a tad long for a ladies gun? (wink, wink)

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/25/02 12:08:39 pm)
    You're right!

Seems this project is being set up as a possible "Damn, Honey - this might not be the right rifle for you. Here, let me take this one and I'll build you one that will fit better."

(Hee, Hee, Hee!!!)
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/25/02 3:43:06 pm)
    Heck, Doc.....this is the perfect chance to build a pair of "His & Her's customs" out of a couple of surplus 6.5 Swedes.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/25/02 10:00:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Deer rifle for the wife
    Hey now hold on there you guys. That gun may not be too big for AntiqueDr's wife - and you should all be ashamed of yourselves - wanting the best ones for yourselves.

Tsk, tsk!!!

The Wile E Coyote
    (6/25/02 10:22:52 pm)
    I think I'll have to go with LTS on this one... the 243 is a very good deer gun without much in the reciol department.

Regards,
    Coyote

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/25/02 10:31:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Deer rifle for the wife
    As luck would have it, this latest huge bunch of guns I bought has a short-action 700 receiver in it! So far, so good!

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson