Wells Fargo and Company stagecoach shotgun, need value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Gford1, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Gford1

Gford1 New Member

Hi,

I have a Wells Fargo Stage coach Gun that is original, it has wear due to its task of being on a stagecoach and it has seen action. It is an english made gun due to its markings, it has some engravings and it states Wells Fargo Express and Co's 51 on the butt of the gun. I wrote the original manufacturer in England and they never replied, can someone help out there? I would like to see it but I do not know what it is worth. Pictures included, please view. The hammers are extremely tight and it also has a damascus barell that looks to be in great condition.

Thank you and God Bless

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I posted this a couple of weeks ago, but it is such a lovely answer I went and stole it and am gonna put it here.

>First, there was no "official" Wells Fargo gun. Local offices bought what they thought they needed at the local hardware store. So the Sacramento office might arm its men with Colt double barrel 10 gauges with the barrels 16 inches long, while the Los Angelas office might use Remington 12 gauges with 30 inch barrels.

Second, there was no consistency in how (or if) the guns were marked. WF &Co. Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo Freight. All kinds of markings. Basically, whatever the guy in charge of that office at the time thought should be on there.

Third, very few records were kept. "January 14, 1887. Bought two new Colt's Revolvers, 45 caliber, SN 18573 and 21406, issued to guards Johnson and McNeil." Those kinds of records. Basically don't exist.

So, fourth, faked Wells Fargo guns are the biggest scam in gun collecting.<

Your gun may, actually, be a real Wells Fargo gun. The problem is, there is no way to prove it. Without proof, even if it is real, no collector will believe it. So, your gun is worth what an inexpensive Belgian-made Damascus barreled double, in good shape, is worth. Hundred, maybe hundred and fifty bucks.

And, W. Richards guns are not Westley Richards guns, made in England. They are Belgian made, and marked like that so people would think they were made by the famous British gun company. Also, the W. Richards guns came in this country 'round about 1900. That's a little late to be in on the "stagecoach carrying the gold" type of Wells Fargo. Might could have been used in the freight cars on a railroad, though.
  3. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

"faked Wells Fargo guns are the biggest scam in gun collecting"

Ya got that right!!