1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Welp, I'm getting my pistol ideas down.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I went to my local gunsmith about 40 mins ago and asked him about some pistols, one of the first things I asked was if the CZ-52 any good as far as a starter pistol. He said it's a good pistol, but it has the same power of a .357mag (large case and 7.62mm bullet) and wouldn't recommend it to start off with. I also asked him about Beretta's and said though they where good guns, he wasn't a big fan of 'em because they where clunky (big, fat, grips) and where priced way out of my price range. (used ones would be ok, for me, but I have to agree that the fat grips mould be a problem with me.)

Well, after looking through his inventory, I'm thinking about these guns:

Glock 22

An old (not to old) High Standard .22lr, forgot the m/n for it.

A P22 w/o comp.

A Taurus (I think it's a Taurus, forgot already.) .22lr revolver 7 shot.

A Ruger .22lr, just the plain old boy.

I'm leaning towards the Glock, it just feels right.

Any comments, suggestions. My max is still $500, discluding the s/h
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  2. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

If the Berreta is clunky the Glock would be like carrying a big hunk of granite.

For a 22 there are a bunch of options which all have pros and cons. I am partial to the High Standard, Colts, and Brownings.

For a gun bigger than a 22
    Browning Hi Power is a pretty sweet gun. It is a natural pointer and comfortable to hold.
    The 1911 is the standard by which all others are measured.

You also mentioned revolvers
    Colt
    Smith & Wesson
    Ruger
    Any of these 3 will serve you well. Get the one which fits best.
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Glock 22

Beretta 92

Also, I'm not to interested in the compact guns, mainly because I'm not going to carry my gun with me and the grips are to small. I'm still looking and I did hold the Glock and thats why I say it felt right.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

If, as it reads, this is a 'first' handgun, I would strongly reccommend a revolver, out of safety, and simplicity of operation; a .38 S&W Special, or a rimfire, as a starter.
    If the factory grips are too small, there are lots of other grips to make the 'handle bigger, relatively cheaply, compared to the expensive> impossible chore of making them smaller!
    Don't read this as patronizing, or condescending, in any way; I own close to a dozen 1911 pistols, and a lot of other pistols, as well, and still like, and often carry, a revolver, for JUST the reasons given, plus one! My SO, with whom I spend a bit of time, is not a 'shooter' in the sense of this board, nor, likely, will she ever be; She lacks the hand strength, and size, to shoot, say, a 1911 pattern pistol, especially if she must rack the slide. Should we ever be in a situation where I am 'out of action', she, and almost anybody on earth, can operate a revolver, in our defense!
    The most important rule, in survival, is prior planning!
    True enough, TODAY, concealed carry is not your object, but tomorrow...
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  5. BIGSKY70

BIGSKY70 New Member

Ever since I held a browning hi-power I can't live without it. Feels like it was made for my hand. Wanted a crimson trace but don't want to give up the grips.
  6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Good advice Stash, You got to walk, before you can run. :)
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'll throw my two cents in.

Of the guns you listed, I'd pick either the High Standard or the Ruger.

Guns are very personal things. I don't like Taurus. Don't like the way the new Walthers (P22 and P99) feel, and hate the trigger on Glocks. Smith revolvers and Browning designed autos - now you're talking good guns.

But if the Glock feels good to you, and you like it, get it. There ain't a thing wrong with 'em. I just don't like 'em. I believe I am in the minority here.:rolleyes:

For a first pistol, though, I would really suggest a 22LR. I don't know if this will just be the first one you've owned, or the first one you've shot. But pistols take a lot of practice. A LOT OF PRACTICE. 40 Smith is not cheap. You can practice a lot more for a buck and a half a box, than you can for 11 dollars a box. Also, the less noise and less recoil makes it easier to learn to shoot.

I know there are 22 conversions out there for Glocks. That would, probably, be the best way to go. You have your 22, to learn how to shoot with, and you have your 40 for when things go bump in the night. And they both are the same gun, so you have the same controls, the same grip and the same trigger pull. I'm pretty sure, though, that buying a used Glock and a conversion kit will bust your 500 dollar limit.
  8. Jay

Jay New Member

Don't "pre-select" a handgun, buy make, model caliber or anything else. pick a handgun just like you buy shoes...... try on as many as you can, BEFORE you buy one. If it doesn't "feel right" in your hands, you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it. Many manufacturers make multiple calibers in the same, or similar frames.
  9. Excellent advice, Jay. The "fit" of a handgun is a very personal thing and what works well for one person my fit like a glove on a rooster for another. For example, I own and shoot several snub nose .38s. For whatever reason, they fit my hand well and I can hit well with them. My wife, on the other hand, can't hit the broad side of a barn with one and has always complained that they simply don't "fit" right in her hand. Solution? Buy her a pistol that does fit her hand, which, of course, I did. :D
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Well, I just won/bought a Makarov in .380ACP. now I'm just waiting for him to email me then pay him to mail it to my local gunsmith and we'll see if it's up to my expectations. If not, I can always sell it, right?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=67098293

PS: Which brand of .380ACP ammo should I get?

PS 2: Gave the MO and paid the transfer fee ($15) and should get the gun within a weeks time + 2days (I guess he can't do anything on a Saturday). I'm excited and it'll be the second Russian gun I'll own and the first pistol. So much for the Glock, 'eh? Well, if I tie the string right, I could consider it a concealable pistol with a good sized grip, and it's 3 3/4" barrel should suit be just fine.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  11. Old Soldier

Old Soldier New Member

Go with your instinct man, go with the Glock hands down. I don't own one some friends do they rave about it. I want one nice smooth firing, bigger clip. What's not to love! They work for us here in Texas.
  12. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

The Glock will be my second choice, but it'll have to wait because I'll exhaust my money, again. I'm saving up for my next trip to the range, mainly for ammo. I'm also trying to save up, in case I need some work done on my truck. I'd hate to be stuck in the middle of I-85 during rush hour.
  13. RahiemPT100

RahiemPT100 New Member

I highly recommend going to a range and renting some guns. Shoot first and buy later. There is no substitute for experience, and in all of our cases this is highly subject.:rolleyes:
  14. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

The only range I go to is an outdoor range in a national park and they don't do rentals, all the other ones are clubs with monthly dues that I can't meet.

I already got one and I'm gonna take it to the range next time I go.
  15. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Mosin, If you get another gun check out the P22, Hell you can get a P22 supressors combo for around $500 all you would have to do is write ATF a cheak and send it to them and wait