Went ahead and restocked my M70!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by da357mag, Mar 18, 2012.

1. da357mag

da357mag New Member

If you remember I have the M70 with the messed up stock, Well I tried working on it to no avail!:eek: So I got a Boyd's thumbhole since I had my rimfire in one but instead of brown I got the pepper laminate and since it was cut fora sporter barrelI had to sand the hell out of the barrel channel to get my barrel to fitI also pillar bedded the recoil lug area, which I thought was fun since I have not done it before!:eek:it's not perfect but heres how it came out!

[​IMG].

I think I will get better groups with this set upKeep ua posted!:) doug
  2. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I do like the look of the pepper laminate. The only bedding jobs I have done was a complete job, meaning front and back. I have never done just the front and left the rear alone. I assume that doing the front alone would be better than the rear alone but may as well do both while you're in there. And yea, it is kind of fun. I was nervous on my first one but slow and easy is the ticket.
  3. da357mag

da357mag New Member

The main reason I didn't do the tang area was the lack of wood. I got the pillars from Brownell's and they measure about 5/8ths in diameter I had to ream out the 1/2inch hole I drilled in the lug area to make it fit!and I don't know if it is just the way they make these stocks but if I would have drilled it and opened it up enough to work, the pillar would have been exposed on the outside! I might just do am epoxy bedding in the rear, there is enough wood for that. But I think I'll try it this way first and see how it does! and of course I have to refinish it, my 452thumbhole wouldn't want to be seen in public with it!:D But I will use a clear coat as to not change the pepper color! Might even do clear epoxy paint! that's what the use on rem700 once it sets up it is tuffer than nails! But that's down the road a ways!:) Doug
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. Thats all cats*** anyway, it covers. ;)