Went hunting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabob, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

This time last year I could not walk and was getting around on electric scooter, crutches or wheelchair. Today I went quail hunting. Haven't been in years since my old hunting buddy died. New neighbor has a couple of bird dogs and wanted to go. I shot four times and got three birds and knocked the fourth one down. When I went to pick it up it took off flying behind a tree and I couldn't get a shot at it. I had to quit after about an hour of dragging thru briar patches but it was a great time. I used to love to quail hunt and glad I have a new hunting partner.
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

WOW Bob.....
    I am so pleased to see you up and about !!!
    I bet you are still smiling......and driving BJ crazy
    telling her about the hunt...:)
    You two are so special....I so wish we lived
    closer to one another.....
    Miss you both, please give BJ a hug from me.
  3. m77user

m77user Active Member

4. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Excellent news! Glad your up and around, and it sounds like you had a memorable hunt.
  5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

hunting is not always about the harvest or the amount of time. it is about the quality of time and companionship. I am extremely glad to hear you got out. pace yourself and relish the memories.
  6. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I haven't hunted quail in 40 years or so, not since I left Texas. I remember good times and the raised heart beat when they flushed. Also the tasty little birds.

Lucky you.
  7. geds

geds New Member

That's great news Bob - glad you had a good time!
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Glad to hear that you are up, and about, and quail hunting no less! I'm jealous! Haven't been quail hunting in almost 50 years. Tell your wife helo for us, and hope to see you both at GA meet #3.
  9. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Bob great news. So glad to hear that things are looking up for you. I was a bird hunter for about 30 years with my Dad. He and I hunted almost every day of the season. I even remember hunting in the rain, snow and wind that you could hardly shoot in. But oh! the memories. It's like someone just said it is not always about the harvest, it's the good times in the field. We always had a good bird dog and was the envy of the neighborhood.
    We were offered $600 for one of our dogs back in the late 60's. Friends, let me tell you that was a lot of money for a dog in those days. But if I had sold him I woud have had to left home, he was the family pet also.
    I went to the Doctor yesterday and he released me after the shoulder surgery I had in July. He also told me that it was OK to shoot a small Cal. gun. I use a 6mm for whit tail. I am leaving next Monday for a 10 day deer hunt in Tennessee. I will get to hunt with my 18 year old grandson, who by the way killed 3 deer opening day last Saturday. Tn. now has a 3 deer a day limit on white tail for the whole season. My shoulder is still tender, but I will go anyway.
    Keep it up Bob, and tell B.J. hello for me. Hope to see you at next years meet. If you need any thing, just holler.
  10. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Glad you're up and about, able to hunt. I miss walking in the woods, and maybe getting something to shoot at, but just enjoying being out. Stuck in the scooter myself. So congrats, and here's hoping for many more good hunts for you.