Went shooting with some friends (had a mishap)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Albtraum, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Went shooting with 2 close friends, one had never shot a gun before. So I had him start off with a .22, I made sure he knew safety basics/common sense, as he became more and more comfortable with it, me and the other friend started plinking too, with the other .22s I brought, @ 3 steel plate spinner targets. A lot of competition there :cool: . Then I brought out my dad's .270. I told my friend that this one will kick a lot more than the .22 and instructed him how to hold/steady it into his shoulder (we just had a small folding table and jackets to rest the rifle on) then he fired it. A few seconds later, blood was streaming down his face! We were freaking out, luckily I had a lot of napkins in my car. What happened was the scope hit him right above his eyebrow. The scope on my dad's Remington 700 is a cheap 30 year old Tasco that has the eye relief of a microscope. On top of that, the eye piece has a sharp steel tube that protrudes over 1" from the lens.... The scopes on our .22s are nicer, with a rubber insert over the end of the eye piece. I can't believe my dad has taken deer with this gun & scope.. well I shot it a few times to make sure it was sighted in after many years of sitting in the safe, it did okay for a wobbly table/blurry scope... Eventually the bleeding stops, the cut isn't very deep, just a perfectly curved slice from the scope. My friend wanted to keep shooting, so we finish off the rounds we bought and did some clay shooting. Overall it was an awesome experience for him, and wants to go again. Between the 3 of us, we shot ~750 rounds of 22LR, 100 12GA shells, and 6 .270 rounds...

Here's a short clip of my friend shooting a gatorade bottle with a shotgun. (People litter this shooting spot... we did our best to clean up our area :D )
    http://youtu.be/2gF1mCeaLOQ
  2. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

good to know that little mishap didn't scare him away!
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Glad you all had a good time, sorry your firend got bit by the scope. Good to hear that he wants to come back and try it again!
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I always use the 3 finger rule. When sizing somone to a scope, they should be able to bring their hand up to their eye brow kind of like a salute, and drop the pinkie finger. Now have them lean into the scope. It should not be any closer than that.

I am glad it did not scare them away. Hope this helps.

Jim
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Also, because I have a long arm reach, most can shoot my rifle without getting hit. The problem can come when a person has a longer reach and shoots a rifle from someone with a shorter reach and gets snugged up too close to the scope.

Jim
  6. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I got my boy a scope at the gunshow last weekend the sight you look into is as big around as a silver dollar and easy to see through he loves it
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Scope bite sucks....... from what I hear.

Glad your friend is okay and wasn't scared away by the incident.
  8. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

Didn't that used to be called a Redfield Shiner or something to that effect?

Never did hear how it got that name.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Hes lucky he has his eye still even with an eye relief anything is possible just like when you get punched near the eye you know. You can bust the eye open.
  10. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    I've heard it called getting "scoped".
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

all i know is he should of been holding the gun firmer on his shoulder. I shot many high caliber centerfire rifles even when I was 6 years old and i never got "scoped"
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'm lucky my scope scar is hidden by the eyebrow :D
  13. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Yeah the Tasco on my dad's 270 is like 1, maybe 2 fingers of eye relief. Just a 3-9x40, but you have to be waay to close to get the full sight picture and focus, it's not comfortable being that close to the scope, even when shooting a 130 gr round. Most scopes on the market today seem to have 3-4" of eye relief.
  14. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

i had the same incident happen to me. i had a few buddies at our cabin up north for a weekend of shooting. my one friend from ohio owns and shoots lots of guns, ranging from .22s to a .375 H&H. i got out my Springfield 30-30 and he wanted to shoot it. so i set up my shooting rest and handed the rifle to him. he puts a round in the chamber and touches off a round downrange and starts cussin. he looks up at me and he had a massive gash above his eye from the scope. to this day i still have no idea how he managed to do it. i've never had that issue. anyways, glad gettin bit by a scope didn't scare your buddy away from having fun with target shooting.
  15. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i'm very lucky that i haven't been scoped. i shot my first scoped gun somewhat late in life(16 or 17), and i didn't have very close supervision, but somehow i knew not to get to close to the scope.