The Firearms Forum banner

Went to the gun store, need advice...

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Shooter45 
#1 ·
So i went to my local shop, same place i bought my 1911. i trust them very much. while i was there i picked up an 8 round wilson mag and some ammo. now im really itching to go shoot.

anyway, i asked about having them put on a fiberoptic front sight, plain black rear, and lower and scallop the ejection port. they said $200 out the door. does that sound like a good price to you? sounds great to me.

need your advice and maybe pics of sights if you can. I currently have a springfield GI. the lo pro sights are nice, but i want something a little easier to use.

ideas?

#3 ·
im not looking really for an adjustable sight since the pistol is a carry pistol. but im told either way that the slide needs to be machined to fit it

#5 ·
thanks popeye, thats what i thought. thats also including instalation of the sights too ofcourse

#8 ·
the gun won't be original anymore, and will lose value in the future.
why not just buy a mil-spec. the GI sights and the small un-flared ejection port are its trademark.
I think for 200, you could trade in your GI and get what you want, without wrecking the GI.
I have a GI, and it's not the best for accuracy, but it is authentic, you know.

I have a beautiful Springfield rifle, but it has a monte carlo stock, lost a ton of value, but the blue is not even worn off the action. The value is 700.
Original Springer 1903's in 99% condition are worth 2000.00.
I bought it in 1980, and I bought it to shoot.

Old Cody

#9 ·
I'd check on trading for a Springfield Milspec. It has the features you want except for the fiber optic front sight, Your Springfield GI and $200 would probably make the deal.

If you are dead set on keeping the GI pistol, $200 for the work done is a good deal.

Fiber optic sights are good but be cautious when holstering your weapon. I broke two off at one match. :eek: I was lucky to have a spare with me. I haven't used them since that day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.