Were back!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pabooger, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

After a 2and 1/2 hour drive thru a Blizzard we finally made it to Rochester. Woodsy, Alaska Dave, and John were already at the Crackerbarrel waiting for us! We had a good visit, talked about ya all and headed to the gun show! Damm if I didn't forget to take the camera again, so I dont have any pictures to post! Typical Gun Show, most everything was way over priced!!

I did buy a case of American 45 ammo for $69!!! Made in Miami Florida, figured Id give it a try. If it cycles fine Ill go back up in April and pick up a few more cases! Have any of ay shot any of it?
  2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Pa, did Woodsy show you the knife I sent him and if so how long did it take to figure out how it opens?
    There is a gun & knife show very close by to us this weekend but being we are trying to get our new metal work shop under roof, we are not going to make it. I called a friend of mine on his cell phone today around 1PM, he is set up at the show with his ammo business, and asked him how things were going. He told me that NO one was selling guns, NO one was even trading guns, and the only thing selling was ammo but it was selling in small quanities rather than case lots as it usually does. I sent 3 guns with him to sell and he said a lot of lookers but no one was buying guns. Was it the same at the show you went to. My friend went on to tell me that there was even some good buys on guns yet they still were not selling! Makes wonde rwhat is going on, after Christmas money blues or is the economy getting tighter? Oh well, tax refund season will be coming up soon.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Sounds like a good time except for the weather.
  4. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

JJ yes he showed me the knife and no I could not figure out how to open it!!! :confused:

Nice knife I might add!!!
    Not many were buying at this show either, prices were way high!! I did see a Marlin Camp 9, in great shape for $295. I was going to buy it cause I knew Ron and a few others were looking for one, but the guy in front of me snapped it up!!!

I did see a Savage 99, I liked in 250/3000 but $1300 was a little steep I think!!!

They were asking $350 for cetme's!! Sks and Ak's were way over priced!!
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  5. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome home, Pa! Glad you made it through the blizzard. :eek: It's always good when you can meet up with members of the TFF family. :)
  6. jh2oman

jh2oman New Member

Looks like GB forum is down again. So I had to sign up here to find you guys!
    Woodsy & I made our trades -- if you didn't hear, I'll let him tell you himself what he got. Sorry to book out so quick, but I had to run to do an errand in Roach-ester, then drove home to P/U some items to trade. Got back to the show at 3:30. I got a good deal on the shortened Brown Bess I told Pabooger about. Looks like the thing was shot 3 times. I've always wanted one of these. As Woodsy calls it, "a great Charlie Richie / Backwoodsman Gun."

-- Glad to hear you got back OK. There were two cars of the road about 1-1/2 mile from my house -- darn nasty here!

Regards,
    Jeff W
  7. roboman

roboman New Member

$250 for a CETME is a steal!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  8. woodsrunner

woodsrunner New Member

Yup,
    I had to get that 1902 S&W off my permit so I ended up trading it and my 22 rifle. Picked me up a 58 cal Zouave rifle. Showed it to the civil war reinactors. All but one of them weren't impressed with it. So I guess you rebs better make room for me down south. The yanks won't have me and my rifle of southern origin. I got some extra goodies booted in on the deal too, so I made money.

OBTW Charlie. While I was waiting for h2oman to return I made a deal with another friend of mine. He'll be more than happy to truck your Rochester gun show souveneer down to Jersey for ya. Will 6 yards be enough or would you like more? His truck even has one of those spreader things on the back. Your place will feel just like Rochester before he's done.
  9. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

The Cetme was a typo, they were $350
  10. njretcop

njretcop New Member

Does this mean that you're not gonna pick me up................AGAIN!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  11. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

OH Brother!!! :eek:
  12. ken w.

ken w. Member

Well,I guess I'm going to rochester instead of Tyrone.Hope its better tomorrow so I can sell some stuff.
  13. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    jh2oman, what are Brown Besses bringing around that area. I have a full length Long Land Pattern but would love to pick up one that has been cut down to a canoe gun length. I am hoping on doing some trading with John myself if we can come up with some ideas between us.
  14. Winchester73

Winchester73 New Member

Don't know how they shoot, but they aren't worth crap for reloading...I picked some brass up at the range and it looked great... I never could get it to load properly. A little searching on the various forums revealed that it was common knowledge that they weren't good for reloading:(
  15. woodsrunner

woodsrunner New Member

What cracks me up is the mentality some gun show sellers get. I mean one guy wanted $5.00 apiece for Garand clips!!
  16. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I am glad that you could all get together and have a good time latter I will post a couple of pictures from our gun show this weekend.
    I felt so bad about stealing a couple of guns that I went back and kissed the sellers. :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D they where both widows by the way ;)
  17. bigt7mm

bigt7mm New Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  18. jh2oman

jh2oman New Member

It seems like we have quite a few BP oriented groups around here -- a BP shooting club with a camping/rendezvous faction, a number of other small rendezvous clubs, Old Fort Niagara with a big bunch of reenactors, and there is a group of Rangers I believe based out of Rochester. From what I've seen they trade alot amongst themselves and I'm sure that's where the good deals are. When stuff comes up at gun shows it seems like it goes for a good price -- but then I check the Dixie catalog to see what new is! The Pedersoli Bess Trade gun I got which included a new .735 Rapine mold was stickered at $620. Gun looks nearly new, but I think it's an older one as it does not match the current description in the Dixie book. I was looking at a nice, used, kit built Charleville a while back that was stickered at $595. Custom built weapons tend to go at as premium -- last year I was drooling over a used, nearly new, 20 ga Tulle Grenadier model made by CenterMark stickered at $950. And a few years before that I almost bought a $550 custom built (but well used) trade gun that probably was $1500 when new. (Looking back, this is the one I should have bought).
    --Back to Bess values, seems to me last year Cabelas had a special where a Pedersoli Bess and bayonet combo was like $800 (??).

--Who was the maker of your Bess?

Regards,
    Jeff W
  19. woodsrunner

woodsrunner New Member

I had to return today because the pistol permit people had left, by the time I made my trade yesterday. Jeff, your LH gun was priced at $329., my CZ was priced at $299, and the S&W wasn't priced. I picked up some .570 round balls while I was there. I'm going to try and get to the range and shoot this thing next weekend.

Jeff, JJ, I stopped at Gander mtn on the way home. Picked up a copy of Backwoodsman Magazine. There is an article on "canoe guns" in it. You guys may want to pick up a copy. Also while I was there I was looking at the muzzleloaders. I got some inspiration working in my head. I know where there is one of the two piece stocked cva kentucky rifle kits only half built. It's been doing doorstop duty for years and half the parts are missing. If I can get it, I'm going to chop it back almost to the stock split and make an "indian gun" out of it.
  20. ken w.

ken w. Member

I just got back from the Rochester gun show and the same old same old stuff and a couple of treasures alot of folks overlooked.I came home with a Remington 580 SMOOTH BORE .22 cal.I guess its kinda rare. I also brought a unwanted Winchester model 67A thats unaltered and original.Both were so cheap I couldn't say no.I'm feelin a little guilty-NOT :D .