1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

We're Gonna "Get Some" Today!

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/2/02 2:58:34 pm)
    We're Gonna "Get Some" Today!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I remember those words coming from our platoon commander at an early morning briefing one day just before the "hot-ass" sun arose in the sky.

We were all fired up on a search and destroy mission we were going out on and were preparing ourselves for "one helluva fight". We were humpin' the Arizona Territory and have been takin some casualties lately and it was time to give a little "payback" so we got the word that if "anything" ..... and I do mean "anything" moved we were to destroy it .....

We had been humpin' now most of the morning and have'nt seen shit. The flies were having a field day on our hot, sweaty and stinking bodies as the sun beat down on us without so much as a breeze blowin' anywhere.

We were coming up on a river and as we approached an opening to where you could just begin to catch a glimpse of the sandy shore with the glimmer of the sun in an almost blinding glare on the rivers water and all of a sudden there was a whole "shitload" of automatic weapons fire chewin up the ground and weeds all around us.

Now we never loped along without a constant sweeping of the area with our eyes but out of nowhere came the poppin' of AKs and an occassional RPD machine gun and it was as if you saw it on the boob tube ..... The sand was kickin up all over the place as we took cover while trying to figure out where in the hell the enemy was.

I remember this one Marine Grunt running to the front of our gun team and as he hit the deck behind a small grassy knoll his helmet flew off his head and rolled forward towards the waters edge. Can't recall his name offhand but he was a tall and thin black kid and he really freaked at the thought of being out here in the middle of a firefight without his noggin' being somewhat protected as his helmet reached the water and started to float out towards the middle of the river.

All of a sudden he jumped up and headed for the water with rounds flyin' all over the place. Somebody yelled for cover fire but just where we were suppose to shoot was news to us cause we could'nt see a damn thing. I remember watching this kid make his way into the water in an attempt to recover his helmet (which eventually he did in waist deep water about 15 feet from the bank) and it was as if I was watching a slow motion war movie on the television with rounds kickin' up water all around him as Charlie was doin' his best to drop him in the water.

We all just kinda watched in awe as he retrieved his pot and hauled ass back to where he hit the deck without so much as a scratch as he bolted out into the wide open and back again without a care in the world at the time. Charlies sharpshooters must have been having a bad day cause that day they could'nt hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle.

Our leaders called in some artillery all around us for some back up and eventually the beach became an instant Shangri-La after just previously having been a miniature Omaha Beach. We did not take any casualties at all that day and neither did Charlie (at least what we could tell after a search of the area) and we all kinda lounged around for a bit before humping back to the AnHoa perimeter.

We were all sittin' round shootin' the shit and laughin' at the thought that the Brutha bolted out in the middle of "the shit" and never so much as got out of breath. We use to do that a lot .... You know .... after the fact is when you critique yourselves as to the events that had unfolded and it was one of those "good times" where ya just kinda look back at things and realized your ass is still here and how "so far" it's another good day with no losses.

Was'nt long before the platoon commander came by and told us to sadlle up as we would soon be moving out and heading back .....

Funny thing though ..... With all the rounds buzzin' round our heads for what seemed an eternity and us returning fire all over the place and calling in Arty .....

We never saw a thing and needless to say .....

We did'nt "Get Some" today ..... But ..... Theres always tonite or tomorrow if it should ever get here cause in combat you live for the moment as theres no guarantees for tomorrows.

Just another day in the life of a combat Marine in the Arizona Territory .....

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (6/2/02 4:01:54 pm)
    Re: We're Gonna "Get Some" Today!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guns, I'm glad you remembered that as you recalled it for us---would'a been a sorry-ass shame had that marine who scrambled for his cover, been hurt or worse. I recall recently watching one of the programs about country and there were these two black marines who had been up on Hill 881 South (near Khe Sanh) and it related how one of them had thought this other one had been KIA'd---somehow a reunion had been fermented and the downright joy of those two old warriors seeing each other again---so very touching. Thanks for sharing your memories Gunner. wilborn

haggai69
    (6/3/02 10:38:21 am)
    Seems to go along with the idea that when it's your time you can't stop it... but if it's not your time the whole world around you can be going to hell and you won't get a scratch. Makes up for some of the idiosyncrasies (sp?) in life.

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/10/02 9:10:11 am)
    Think he was in his own world at that moment huh?! That or he just didn't care anymore.

Makes you think though, if he'd risk his life for his helmet... what would he have done for another Marine?!?!

Always Faithful

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/10/02 10:59:13 am)
    Good point Winter ..... Course you and I already know what he woulda done for another Jarhead .....

"SEMPER FI!"

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/11/02 2:47:54 pm)

Good read Six!
    Tac

Rick from Mich
    (8/6/02 6:37:37 pm)
    It sounds from your discription that you were close to an area we called "Football Island" official name Go Noi island to the gooks. Am I close..

Been there, done that...

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/9/02 10:14:49 am)
    That could have been it Rick ... My memory has somewhat fallen by the wayside over the years.

Six

"HUE CITY SHOOTOUT PARTICIPANT ..... RVN '68 TET OFFENSIVE"

Rick from Mich
    (8/10/02 12:46:51 pm)
    Good story. When you tell story it takes me back in time, I can picture it and feel it. I'll bet I walked within 100 feet of where your story takes place, a different day, but the same ending most of the time.I was looking at an old map of mine today, we were about 10-12 clicks away from each other on the opposite ends of Arizona. Pre TET we had two Marine Regiments south of DaNang, the 5th and the 7th. When you guys got pulled out to head to Hue we assumed your Command areas.That spread us real thin. I spent probably 10 days in total at An Hoa myself. Nice airstrip..
    Hey, I saw your movie, "full Metal Jacket", were you the M-60 Gunner they portrayed?

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/11/02 12:19:04 am)
    Referin' to "Animal Mutha" ..... Rekin' I was a close second for sure. Did my fair share of Rat-A-Tat-Tat while makin' our way up the boulevards there.

I can tell ya this much ... It certainly was not a walk in the park ... ;)

Hava a good one ...

Six

"HUE CITY SHOOTOUT PARTICIPANT ..... RVN '68 TET OFFENSIVE"

Rick from Mich
    (8/12/02 5:53:14 pm)
    The 5th Marine Regiment made history during the battle of Hue. You guys made all the rest of us in the 1st Marine Division proud.That was one hell of a fierce street battle you fought. Good Job...
    100 years from now when they speak of the Vietnam War they'll remember the battle for Hue.