We're home ... by the hardest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SouthernMoss, Nov 14, 2007.

1. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

We thought it was bad enough last Fri when we had to go west to go east: going from Baton Rouge to Hartford via Houston. ... Well, try going from Hartford to Baton Rouge by way of Detroit, Milwaukee, and Memphis! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Our flight Fri morning from Baton Rouge to Houston was at 8:15am on a small Embraer jet with Continental Express. When we checked into the airport at 6am, the check-in person said we needed to go on the 6:30am flight (which was on a 737) because Marlin's wheelchair wouldn't fit in the baggage area of the smaller jet. So they rushed us through check-in and security (which is a whole other story; try going through security with an electric wheelchair, a portable oxygen concentrator, and a man who has a metal knee!) and got us on the 6:30 flight.

While I was waiting for Marlin to make it through security, I was talking to the airport assistant who was waiting to help us to the gate, and I mentioned the issue of airplane size. She told me that they COULD get the wheelchair on the smaller jet, it was just a lot harder to do.

So anyway, no big deal. It just meant a shorter wait in Baton Rouge and a longer wait in Houston.

Well, Saturday I started worrying about the return flight, because the hop from Houston to Baton Rouge would also be on the smaller jet. So I called Continental on Sunday night when we got settled in Portland and told them the conflicting stories we had been told in Baton Rouge.

They kept me on hold for 10 or 15 minutes, then told me that they needed to change our flight, and if we HAD to leave from Hartford (well yeah, that's where our rented minivan would have to be turned in) and if we HAD to return to Baton Rouge (well duh, that's where we left our vehicle), that they would have to change us to NorthWest Airlines where we would fly the whole way on DC-9's.

Oh, and by the way, the first leg was from Hartford to Milwaukee, with a stop in Detroit! :eek: Then a flight from Milwaukee to Baton Rouge with a stop in Memphis! :eek:

The agent assured us that we wouldn't have to get off the airplane in Detroit or Memphis--WRONG!! :mad: Not only did we have to get off in Detroit, we had to change planes to another one 30 gates down the concourse in a matter of 30 minutes or less!

And in Memphis, although we would be using the same plane, they practically threw us off the plane so they could "groom" it for the next leg of the flight. :rolleyes:

So that's how we spent almost the whole day yesterday, until we finally got to Baton Rouge at 9pm last night.

The good news is that all the folks we dealt with from both airlines were very nice and super accommodating. The TSA folks at Baton Rouge and at Hartford were very professional and courteous while working with Marlin and all his equipment. And best of all ... they didn't lose ANY of our baggage, which included our two checked bags, a set of aluminum wheelchair ramps (for loading the wheelchair into the rental van) and the wheelchair itself. :)
  2. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Glad you are home safely
    I have reached the age where I just want to stay home
    Don't like all the hassles of traveling anymore. Glad we saw a lot of the country earlier
    Rest up you both probably need it
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Geeze... Sounds like the typical "vacation" guys.

Glad you're home safe now. Did Marlin buy any toys? :D

Crpdeth
  4. Welcome back, Marlin and SoMo! We missed you! Hey, next time you fly to Maine, perhaps they'll route you via Denver, then we can all visit during the layover. :rolleyes:

Hope you had a great time. :)
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Sorry to hear the flights were a hassle but I know Marlin enjoyed the food.
    I will drive but them hassles is why I don't fly!!!
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

At least you made it.
    GOOD to hear your both home safe and sound.

After your rested, you know we would like a full report. ;):D:D
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Did they give you the frequent flyer miles for the whole trip? :D:D:D:D
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I'm just glad to be home!

I will second SoMo in that the TSA folks couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating under the circumstances. All the airline personnel were superb, too, down to the laborers handling the baggage and the gate checked wheelchair at each station. Whenever we landed they brought my chair to the door of the airliner so it was nice to know I could have freedom at each stop.

First night in Maine I had an appetizer of Little Neck Clams on the half shell, a peck of steamed long-necked clams and topped it off with a 2# boiled lobster. Showed SoMo how to get every piece of good meat out including the entire body!!!!. The next night in Berlin, Connecticut, my home town, was pleased to be able to have some Cherry Stones on the half shell before another delightful dinner.

For anyone wondering, little necks and cherry stones are small cohogs and taste more delightful that oysters. I have found, over the years being away from COLD salt water, that oysters are a somewhat nice substitute, but not really when you taste the REAL the real thing again as I did this week.....
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Glad you made it back safe! :) Flying can take the fun out of travel! :confused:
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

welcome back... :)

mike
    gn
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Ah, yes, my old stompin' grounds....shot a lotta weddings in the Hartford/New Britski/Berlin/Meriden area. Use to look forward to stopping in for breakfast at the Olympia Diner on the Old Berlin Turnpike. Best breakfasts in the Nutmeg State.

BTW.....did Marlin pick up any NY Hard Rolls while you were in CT?

Glad ya had a good trip and made it home safely. :D
  12. rosierita

rosierita New Member

:) i'm glad ya'll got home safely!
  13. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

welmlik we gotta niz smalr grasy strip here call EWR. IB
    cudda metchu an hav sum reel food lik pokroleggnchese ona hard rol wich u aint gonna dind in them swamps downther. ok sew bak2 da cornpone an chittlins gatrs an armediloes I spos.

good 2 heer U made it ok didn reliz da judg was ina weelcher, but then IB doan reliz 2mush thesdaze.

OH yeah happy birthday, da 47 wuz da yr rite?:p:cool:
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yeah....it shows your writing style..... :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  15. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO cluknutt, IB aint got no plazdic schtuf eder, onlee woodnsteel----------THE WAY THEY SHOULD BE!!!:D:cool:
  16. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

I will just throw in my Welcome home to both of you also, Glad the trip though sometimes hectic appears to have been a nice trip. catfish
  17. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

He's not "wheelchair-bound", but because of his lung condition he gets winded if he has to walk more than a few yards, so he uses the wheelchair whenever there is a lot of walking involved.
  18. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

thankx for the update suger, duz it have a 600 Cat, 18speed roadranger air ride ana dubblebunk??:p:cool:
  19. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Sorry to hear about your long trip, but I'm very gald to hear how you were treated and that you made it back safe and sound.