Were You Alive in '45?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrkirker, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Attached Files:

2. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Yup, I was 7 years old. Don't remember much but it was a great day!
  3. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

Me Mum was in High Shool, girl back then kept thier kickers on until after they were married.
    Besides my ole man was island hopping in the pacific. I bet he had other things on his mind besides getting some.
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

I wish I would have been. It was a great day for sure.

Art
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

V-J Day remember it well...my Dad was coming home :):)
  6. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I was four at the time. Thanks for someone being older than me. I feel like a kid again.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  7. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Yep! Age 12! Even at that age, we were all deeply involved in the war. My folks both worked in big "war plants" in Indianapolis. We kids gathered up scrap metal, used cooking grease, and rubber and sold it down at the neighborhood gas station. Every cent we got for it we used to buy U.S. Defense Stamps. That whole city was transformed into a huge military installation. MANY war material suppliers operated there in the early '40s.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  8. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Yep, I was nine, Mother worked at Naval Ordnance Plant making fuses for naval shells. Father working 10 to 12 hours a day at railroad. Us kids were taking wagons around neighborhoods collecting tin cans and scrap metal. People would cut each end out of cans and crush can flat with ends inside. The schools sold savings stamps and when you had enough they converted to War Bonds. Everything was rationed. People were issued ration books for sugar, and various short supply items. Meat was purchased if you had the little red tokens. We had air raid warnings and all lights had to be out or blackout curtains at windows( We lived near an air base). Most toys were wooden since metal was scarce. Gas was rationed and each car windshield had a sticker showing how much they could get each month. We had an A sticker since both parents were working in defense related industries. B and C stickers got much less. Tires were almost impossible to get. Repair parts for cars also hard to get. No new cars from 1941 to 1946
    I gave my daughter some old ration books and meat tokens that were left over
  9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Nope. Born in '63. But my Dad was 9. He remembers it.
  10. Mouton

Mouton New Member

Born one month later. Mom worked in an office at a port. My grandfather was a guard at an airport. My dad was in the air corps stationed in Kansas and my uncle, my god father, was in P boats located in Korea on VJ Day. They all recalled that day as a great day and celebration.
  11. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

I was born October 1945. Father was US Army Air Corps.:D
  12. Airdale

Airdale Member

I was only two. Dad was in the Army (Battle of the Bulge), Uncle in the Marines (islands),
    Grandfather in the Navy (Chief Radioman), another Uncle drove fuel trucks for Patton and yet another uncle that was on the deck of the Missouri when the surrender was signed. I Don't remember anything except the day my Dad came home.