1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

west coast bullet

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gpostal, Feb 27, 2004.

1. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

anyone ever use them?

they got .45 fmj {bullet only} 75.00/1,000 shipped
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Postal, those are NOT FMJ bullets. They are cast bullets that have been plated (only one or two thousandths of an inch). Midway has what you want for $3 more per thousand.

Midway .45ACP 230gr FMJ
  3. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

but not shipped

have you used the plated ones?
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

No, I have not. The plate is too thin and will be cut by the rifling when fired. So I figure it is not worth the price, but that is just my opinion. I use cast anyway so I don't worry about it.
  5. ACC

ACC New Member

only bullet I use for loading,the plating is .006 per side,fmj is only.004.the only thig that i found bad about them is if you over crimp and cut into the plating,then you'll shoot the plating off(had that happen to me once). but taper crimp solves that problem
    just my 2 cents worth
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay, then what you are telling me is that a plated bullet is thicker than a FMJ?

Need to go find that one out. Will use a torch tomorrow to measure several FMJ's that I have. I'll get back to you. However, I never have seen. nor have I heard of a FMJ cut by a roll crimp!

Not good news! What happens if that piece gets stuck in the barrel during the first shot of a "double tap"? Shudders in awe!

Never have used anything but on any auto cartidge that headspaces on the case mouth! To make sure that it will feed properly, just measure your taper crimp to .469 inch, this comes from Wilson Combat, not me, although I use this measurement and have advocated its here since I became a member a couple of years ago.

Just my two cents worth!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  7. bompa

bompa New Member

Just recieved some West Coast Bullets..9mm 124 RN and 147 RN's
    Only had a chance to try a small amount of the 147's in a super and was pleasently suprised.. They shot great,think they may be the new standard for the 38super for me..
  8. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i shot about 100 of them today ,i have no complaints so far ,i didn't get to paper them ,but alot of bowling pins died today
  9. ACC

ACC New Member

NO.............you mean a 45 head spaces on the case mouth? and it has to have a taper crimp? Well lordy am I surprised!!!!! I was talking in lieu of a ROLL CRIMP!!! on a total metal jacket. and you have to take up the thickness of the plating with the West coast bullet 1-800-482-2103 ask for Red,tell him carl sent you.And yes copper is only .004 PER SIDE on a FMJ.it doesn't have to be any thicker, for it's a FULL JACET WRAP!!!
  10. ACC

ACC New Member

inplanotx:I have to apologize to you for my rude remarks in my last reply.I'm not really like that,but I,m not much of a writer,that's what I have a secratary for(my wife:),she does all corresponding for the company.so sometimes what i try to explain in writing,it doesn't come out very well,I'm a better talker.
    I am also not one for touting,or boasting about what i know about loading, I do it for a living, I do it well, and beleive it or not,
    i am respected in the industry.I will try to explain the different aspects of the field to anyone who asks,for it is a fun "trade" and i enjoy the hell out of it.I don not pretend to know everything about it but I've learned alot in the twenty some years that i have been doin it.Any way enough is enough,I have been up for the past 20 hrs. makin ammo with my son,for the Govt. and it's time to pack it in. So please except my apology. BTW, my brother is a deputy sheriff for leauge city tx. you guy's and your counties,I don't know what county that is. My father only lives about five minutes from him,and he doesn't khow what county he's in also:)
  11. bompa

bompa New Member

Hey C&R are you going to be at the Springfield gun show in a couple of weeks ??? The one at the Big E in Mass ..
    Or don't you hit those things..
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

C&R Ammo, no apology is necessary. This is a debate and I am learning from your experience. I too have been reloading and casting for more than 30 years and I too do not know it all. That is why I look forward to what I call "information exchanges"! Sometimes stirring the pot, as they say, can get into book diving and then the real information flows! I enjoy a good "information exchange" every once in a while. I also appreciate your knowledge, especially since I know you're in the business. I am thinking about buying some of your .308 and .223 match ammo for several of my guns.

As far as taper crimps, I use then exclusively on my auto cartridges because the case does headspace on the case mouth. When I first started out, I used roll crimps on my .45 and .30 carbine and danged if I didn't get failures to feed because the crimp was too hard. In the case of the .30 carbine, I have a Ruger Blackhawk in that caliber and when I roll crimped, the case slipped into the cylinder too far and would not get a good hit on the firing pin. Many failure to fires on that one. Switched to a taper crimp die and it solved all problems.

Glad to have you around, C&R and I look forward to many good "information exchanges". Stay well!

Rick
  13. ACC

ACC New Member

thanx,at least I know some one who's been around it longer than me:) maybe you can teach me a thing or two:) always willing to learn.take care Rick and I'm sure we will be talking back and forth on this,and many other forums:)
    Carl
  14. ACC

ACC New Member

bompa:
    I do gun shows all the time,more to advertise than sell, but I really don't like Mass. nothing against you, just the state. You would not beleive the hoops out of state vendors have to jump through to sell there,just not worth it for me...I'll be heading up to VT. with TAC to do a gun show up there next week,no problems with that state or here in NH. But have a good show,I understand it's a big one.
  15. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

carl

are you saying that the only bullet you use is plated?

i am trying to decide if i should get the plated ones or pay alot more for jacketed ones