Western Field M72

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 2nd Abeliever, Dec 20, 2009.

1. 2nd Abeliever

2nd Abeliever Former Guest

Hi all. Greetings. I have a question concerning a lever-action rifle. It is a Western Field Model 72, which I believe takes after Mossberg's 472 lever-action rifle/carbine. It is very similar to Marlin's 336 model. Any of you out there have experienced with any of these two rifles(WF M72 or Mossberg's 472)? All replys appreciated. Safe shooting.
  2. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

It seems you are right except I think you have a Western Field 72C, the model 72 was a shotgun. But you are correct that the 72C was a Mossberg 472 and it is very similar to a Marlin 336. this rifle was also marketed as the Revelation model 200.
    The biggest difference is the trigger assembly is self contained in the Mossberg.
    I have had some limited personal experience with this rifle and it seems to be pretty well put together and if you have a good specimen it should be as good a deer rifle as the Marlin or Winchester. Most parts are still available from Numrich.
    As far as a retail price, it won't get the respect that a Marlin would so I would put it at about $50 to $100 less than a similar Marlin 336 in 30-30 would bring in your area. Condition being considered about $175 to $325 retail.

Tarheel
  3. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

2nd Abeliever, I have a 472 that I got from my gunsmith in sad shape and fairly cheap. After I got it all apart and started the restoration I showed him the mechanism and he was impressed with how well it was made. And it may look most like a Marlin but the mechanism is more similar to the Browning lever action. And I will add that it works perfectly and is very accurate. The Western Field brand on it lowers the value somewhat to some (most?) collectors but I have several Western Field models and they are frequently more deluxe than the models sold by the original manufacturer. In the end, Tarheel is right and it will bring less than a 336 or 94. But it is still a good gun.
    9 fingers