Western Field model 59A

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by braucodad, Aug 28, 2009.

1. braucodad

braucodad New Member

I have searched every cross-reference I can find on the web, and cannot find the Western Field 59A listed. This is a 22LR semi-auto rifle with a tube magazine. My grandfather bought it from Montgomery Wards, probably in the early/mid 1950's. I have no paper work on it, just the gun in very good condition. Would love to know more about it, manufacturer (likely Mossberg), etc., and maybe track down a manual. Anybody??
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Have a look at the Models and Specs section HERE.

The WWF models usually will be just slightly different than their Mossberg equivalent, but they will be close, maybe different sights.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Picture would be nice. Might give a clue as to who made it.
  4. GunHugger

WHY was this moved from the rimfire forum to the "what's it worth" forum?

This is a rimfire and the OP did not ask what it was worth.

I don't understand.

Just two posts below this one (when it was in the rimfire forum) is a thread asking about a shotgun. It's still there....this one was moved.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I, myself, have wondered why the shotgun question was in the rimfires. I wonder why a question about the 617 is in centerfire pistol. But as for this, this forum is "Ask the pros" and "What is it worth". See the ampersand separating those two things in the title? I suspect it was moved to the "Ask the pros" because he is asking, "Watdaheck is this?"
  6. GunHugger

I guess we will never know ALPO. :D

It's a bit confusing. This is a question of what is this rimfire and also where to find a manual. I gave him both, the website I gave a link to will solve what model of Mossberg it crosses to and there are also manuals there to look at.

What's it worth? Who knows? We don't even know what it is exactly.

A picture would solve that.

But...my money is on the OP never returning anyway. I said I would not answer questions for those that have one post here. Seems they ask but never come back. Happens all to often. I hope I'm wrong...I enjoy helping out, but it's no fun when they don't see they have answers.
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

While I did not move this thread, I can give you a little background history on such moves. One is that we have many threads to check every day. Sometimes a quick glance will suggest that better or more answers will happen if the post is in another bucket. Sometimes, we pick a bucket the OP doesn't think is appropriate. Oh, well, we try.

Believe it or not, we sometimes make a mistake, too. :p :D

Pops
  8. GunHugger

I was correct. :D
  9. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman New Member

I have this same rifle, and in the process of looking for a manual, I found this thread.

This is my first post, and I can't promise I'll become a regular here, but I will offer up some useful information that I've found in my search for info on this rifle.

This rifle is a Stevens model 87A, and was sold to several differnt stores / companies and under different names and model numbers. In this case, a Westernfield Model 59a.

(I apologize for the size of the pictures, but they are not mine, just stuff I found online)

Here is a picture of the rifle that I found online (not mine):
    [​IMG]

Here is a very good article about this rifle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A parts diagram for it from Numrich:
    [​IMG]

A link to Numrich's site so you can order spare parts:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.e-gunparts.com/images/schematic/089Zz87A.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp%3FchrMasterModel%3D089Zz87A&usg=__-MNv1oMwLDnSy_TmIPeJH42FAfA=&h=453&w=640&sz=66&hl=en&start=4&sig2=QmUSrt1li26Te5-lly4Xpw&um=1&tbnid=p0dRDZkVgMrulM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstevens%2Bmodel%2B87%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1R2ADBF_enUS336%26um%3D1%26newwindow%3D1&ei=bwK-Sv7PH9Sm8Aa_3IhS

Another picture with some more info:
    [​IMG]

A picture of the action (not mine):
    [​IMG]

An interesting article I found in regards to cleaning this rifle:
    HM

ps Spell checker was not used in the making of this post.