Western Field (Savage?) 22 semi auto 808b troubleshooting

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ACCCAT Instructor, Dec 31, 2011.

1. ACCCAT Instructor

ACCCAT Instructor New Member

I have recently picked up a Western Field 22 cal semi auto 808b for $25. It's in fairly good shape and I knew I was taking a gamble on whether or not it functioned correctly but I really wasn't overly concerned because I like to tinker with the older guns and see if I can restore them nicely just for fun.
    I am not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination but I can usually get around small fixes.
    This one will not cycle a round into the chamber. When you load the tube and attempt to load one into the chamber it just gets hung up. It can then be difficult to get the round out sometimes. I have thoroughly cleaned it without taking too much apart. I look around for disassembly charts but haven't found one. My question is: Does anyone know what might be happening and how I can fix it?? Is this a common problem?? Since there is hardly anything invested in this gun, I would like to spend some time seeing if I can get it shooting again just for the experience if nothing else.
  2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

If you can identify the Savage Model the WF semi is based on that would be helpful. Does it have radial fins on the frame to the left of the chamber?
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

That's a good old Savage Model 87. The "gill-gun" with the vents on the left side of the receiver.

If you can take a picture of it "hung up," preferably with action proving dummy rounds instead of live rounds, we can probably figure it out. We have a good stock of parts for that model.
  4. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Bolt action right? Stone, is that simular to the the 86? Oh wait the 87 is semi auto isn't it, very dif. Oh well I'm sure you've allready checked for breach obstructions like firing pin burs and the round slides in and out freely without the use of the action, correct?
    So disreguard my 2 cents but welcome to TFF ACCCAT.
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

I am confused (not hungover) would you post pictures please.