Western Field

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by armedandsafe, May 26, 2006.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Montgomery Ward & Co 16GA, Browning Patent. S/N 65255 B. Wood excellent, blue ~75%, wear negligible on moving parts. $149 out the door.

Gun fits me perfectly, although I haven't shot it yet.

Pops
  2. lead

lead Well-Known Member

If this is the pump with the "hunchback" look to it, It is a fine old gun. I had a takedown model in 12ga. and it was a real nice shooter. In fact, the gun it is based on was used as a trench gun in WW1. I've seen one with the ordnance bomb stamp on it at a gun show. The guy was asking $400.
    $149 is a good price, buy it.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Jose handcuffed me to the counter, reached over and grabbed my wallet and wouldn't let me out until I filled out the papers. :D

I'm mostly wondering the vintage of the gun. I got my Model 12 in 16 last year, which made me smile broadly. Now I have the (almst) Browning pump in 16. I'm almost there. Still looking for a 50-110 in my price range. :D

Pops
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Looks like a pretty durn good deal to me
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Armed & Safe,

These were sold by MonkeyWards in the Fifties and possibly into the early sixties. 23/4 inch shells only and lead shot only. The barrells are too soft for steel shot.

They'll work for a while and then one day, they won't anymore.

I've got a 12g. pump and I love the ol girl. She fits right in with my JC Higgins collection.
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Thanks, berto. We'll see if I can keep this one running. I don't shoot much shotgun, so it should last me for a goodly time.:D Besides, I like it. :D:D:D

Pops
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Well, we have more information. Harley Nolden from THR sent me a copy of the owner's manual, with the disassembly instructions. Trapp55 over on MC led me onto a couple of sites with schematics, so we are gaining on it.

Book says, "The Model 520 was made from 1915 to 1930, and during that time was also sold by Sears as their Model 31 "Ranger." The gun was designed by John Moses Browning and many Model 520 barrels have a marking that includes the words "Browning's Patent," a cause of some confusion. The Stevens Model 620 and Model 621, made fron 1927 to 1953 are similar mechanically, and some of the takedown procedures may be applies."

I'm a happy camper. :D:D:D Thanks to everybody for all the interest and help.

Pops
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

When ya get it Let us know if it is a good gun, tight group
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I haven't patterned it yet, but it busts clays quite nicely, thank you very much. :D Even I managed to hit a few with it. :D:D It is the take down model. The only difference from the instructions I received earlier is that you start with the action OPEN. That exposes the finger grooves and the silly thing comes apart as if it were a double. :D:D:D

I'm jazzed.

Pops
  10. Roughrdr

Roughrdr New Member

Dang, I Just sold my Winchester SRC in 50-110 today.

Guess I should check in more often in these odd posts I can't help with. :rolleyes: