western knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by john riley, Jan 5, 2007.

1. john riley

john riley New Member

recently purchased a western small game knife. It looks pretty nice, it's got a high carbon ss 2 3/4 inch fixed blade w/fulltang and a leather wrapped handle. It's got a leather sheath (but it's less than ideal) It looks like it'be adequate for small game, and the blade appears thin enough to perhaps even fillet a fish if your carefull thought it might be a good general purpose woods walking knife (addition to my everpresent leatherman wave of course) any thoughts on this knife or the quality of western knives in general, was also thing about the ag russel woodswalker for the same purpose as well. Thanks
  2. Western is generally considered by knife afficinados as a "good" knife maker, John. In other words, they don't rank up there with Benchmade Cold Steel, or the custom makers by any means, but they build a reliable, useful knife for the money invested. The steel used is most often 440HC or 420 (which is often used by Buck, I might add), both of which are decent blade steels in terms of durability, edge holding, and ease of sharpening. More expensive knives, by comparison, are more likely to use ATS 34, CPM 440V, or more recently, AG-10.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I carried Western humpbacks from 1947 until I got my Randall in 1963. Loved them and found them strong enough to withstand my heavy use and they stayed sharp enough to gut and skinn a BIG muely. Then only a touch-up in the field was needed to move on to the next one.

Pops
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I have a Western folder that I got when I was about 12. it's a little over 30 years old now & the reason I quit carrying it was that the leather belt pouch that carries it started looking so weathered I was worrying it might break & come off my belt. Mine has an engraving of a big horn sheep on the blade & your post/query prompted me to look at it today. After much use in the field I used it for work- mostly electrical duty skinning wires & such. It's one of my most used knives but it's very very tight & is a dream to sharpen.

For the price I paid I give my Western an A+ rating for value.:)
  5. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

What's an Eastern blade then? Serious here; not trying to funny or sarcastic (that usually comes naturally). It seems to me that east or west should be the same when it comes to field blades for hunting or defense, or am I like George Bush?

LL
  6. In this case the term "Western" refers to a brand name (like Sharade or Buck), not to a geographic region, LL.
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Most of the Western brand fixed blades were made by Case and the most popular ones were the swept blade skinners. Many of those featured a notched hump on the top of the bladr on which you rested your thumb for fine control. I'd like to have one, again.

Pops
  8. Hmmm, interesting, Armed. I didn't know it was Case that made those under the Western name. I had a skinner when I was a kid and used it for its intended purpose on numerous occasions. Excellent knife.
  9. nodlenor

nodlenor New Member

The Western Knife is a very good knife if you buy the older ones that say Boulder Colo. on them. I've seen several of them on E-Bay.
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It is very possible, even likely, that Western made the knives FOR Case.
    Bill