The Firearms Forum banner

Western Pot Roast

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Marlin 
G
#1 ·
A couple of years ago, the wife and I picked up a cookbook we found on sale at a local bookstore. It was purely an impulse purchase, but the book was cheap, and the idea behind it sounded so intriguing, that we thought to give it a try. The title of the book is Best Recipes From the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars, and it was compiled by Ceil Dyer. The idea behind the book, as the title suggests, was to compile recipes taken from the labels of many different products developed by the makers of those products for promotional purposes. The recipes we've tried from this book have been universally excellent, which I suppose is no real surprise given the original source. Anyway, the following is one of those recipes, and let me tell ya, guys and gals, this one is absolutely superb! I made this one up yesterday for dinner and we both fell in love with it. Not only is it simple to make, but it gives one a chance to use up some of those cheaper cuts of meat that so often clutter up the freezer.

Western Pot Roast

2-3 lb. beef brisket, boneless round, or chuck roast (we used chuck)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup catsup
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce (I like Lea & Perrins)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons salt

In a heavy pot brown all sides of roast in a couple tablespoons of oil. I like to use olive oil for this, but anything will work. Add chopped onion; cook until the onion is golden. Combine catsup, Worcestershire, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and salt in a separate container. I often use a glass two-cup measuring cup for this, but anything will work. Pour the combined ingredients over the meat. Simmer, covered, until meat is tender, usually about 2 hours, but longer with a bigger roast.

See less See more
#6 ·
Venison may be substituted in any recipe calling for Beef.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.