WesternField / Montgomery Ward .12 ga.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by L.C. Frantz, Jan 2, 2009.

1. L.C. Frantz

L.C. Frantz New Member

I just bought a WesternField by Montgomery Ward for $200.00. It is a .12 ga. pump. I looked up a previous tread about someone else that inquired about the same type of gun. I wanted more info, so I am going to give some info about the gun and maybe someone can give a history or info about it for me.

It has this stamped on the trigger assembly;

WersternField Montgomery Ward M550ABD 12ga.

Who is the original maker and what series is it. I believe that from the info that I found, it is a Mossberg. But is it a 500 or a 550?

On the left hand side of the trigger, just behind the trigger, is a push button. What is this? I know that it is not the safety, that's located on the top.

The barrel has this stamped on it;

-Chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 in. shells- 12 Ga.- C-LECT Choke- U.S.A.

It has a choke that I am not familiar with. It looks like it is attached on the outside of the barrel. It has a nut near the bottom of the choke with a label that looks like the choke can be set on 1 of three settings. Does this sound correct? The label by the nut has this printed on it;

Full Mod I. Cyl.

What is this for? I can twist the choke at the top and see the choke tighten up, which I know that it changes the shoot pattern, but can the lower section of the choke be turned as well? And if so, what do the different settings change? Does the barrel w/ this choke make it good for any type of shooting? Keep in mind that it is not a riffled barrel. Does this barrel add to the value of the gun? Can you buy this barrel anymore?

Hope I asked enough questions. Any info would be great.

Thanks

L.C.
  2. paynecave

paynecave New Member

L.C.,
    I have the same M550ABD that you described and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. The original manufacturer (or parent company) is most likely Mossberg though it could have been any number of companies that bought that design from Mossberg. I only assume as you probably do that it is the same as a Mossberg 550. The button just behind the trigger guard is the bolt release which unlocks the bolt when it is in the full forward (or closed) position. The C-lect choke is the sweet thing about this gun. It has steps printed on it and the steps are labeled "full", "Mod" and "I-cyl" (improved cylinder). I call it "ice". You simply twist the top portion of the choke till it is lined up with which ever selection you desire. The lower portion does not move. If it does you have a problem.
    At "full" the pattern of the shot will be more concentrated and is used for large, semi-stationary targets like turkey.

"Mod" or modified, produces a slightly larger, less concentrated pattern and is good for small to medium sized birds preferably in flight. But if you are hunting birds and you get a good shot at one on the ground, don't take the time to adjust. I used mine to hunt turkey last spring with the choke on "full" and I got a two-fer. Then just last month I used it to hunt pheasant with the choke on "mod" and it did great. You would use "mod" for other small birds like dove and quail too. It would also work for small game like squirrel or groundhogs.

"I-cyl" would be used for larger birds like ducks and geese although you could also do just fine with it set to "mod" for those birds as well.

My friends who have the nice, newer guns with the choke tube inserts are always jealous that I don't have to change tubes. And mine is several inches longer than any of theirs which I think helps me be more accurate. Don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure that to use slugs you would want the choke on "full".

The barrel doesn't do anything for the value of the gun, it's just ridiculously handy. In it's best condition it is worth $200 if it has Mossberg printed on it. If it has Montgomery Ward/WesternField or any other discount name on it, it is the same gun with all of the same quality and features but it is worth about $50 less in perfect condition. If you paid more don't worry. 50,000 rounds from now I don't think you'll look back and say "man, I paid too much for that gun."
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Mossberg manufactured the Western Field shotguns for Montgomery Wards. The Western Field model 550 is identical to the Mossberg 500.

Here's some info for you about the "C-Lect-Choke" on your shotgun. The instructions are for a different model shotgun but the intructions for the choke is the same.
    http://www.box54.com/inst%20385KA.jpg