What .22 revolvers are the most accurate?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by fleetwood1976, May 8, 2009.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

My wife and I are really getting into shooting .22's and .38 revolvers. With the price of ammo these days we are leaning toward the .22's. I have a few cheaper models that i have been able to afford, but was wondering if there is a holy grail of a .22 revolver that I should be saving for. I quess I want input on the most accurate revolvers out there. I currently have an H&R 999 sportsman, fun to shoot but not increadibly accurate. a heritage rough rider, surprizingly accurate only with wolf match target ammo. an EAA bounty hunter that shoots pretty well, and some sort of German single action that shoots and that is about it. I am wondering if it would be worth sinking the huge sums of money they want for smith and colts in .22lr, or keep trying different ammos with the ones I have to find out which type shoots best.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Take that 999 to a 'smith and have him crown it and check the timing.

Accuracy in a firearm is actually repeatibility. If the bullet leaves the barrel the same way each time and the sights stay in the same relationship with the bore from shot to shot, the gun is accurate. You might be surprised. My experience with the 999s says that a barrel crown job is necessary on many to get the accuracy up. The age suggests that timing should be checked.

I shot balloon competition with one before I got my High Standard. When you can hit 3 ballons, waving in the breeze on a stick at 7 yards without raising the pistol above your shirt pocket, it is pretty accurate.

The rest of accuracy in a gun is the "fit to the shooter" thing. If the gun doesn't fit YOU, then you will not be as accurate with it.

That said, there are many very accurate revolvers out there and I don't have the knowledge of modern revolvers to start spouting names and models. Somebody else here will have that experience with today's revolvers to advise you on that.

Pops
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The accuracy king according to magazine tests is the Freedom Arms Rimfire:

http://www.freedomarms.com/

But this is an expensive gun!

For a more reasonably priced gun the S&W Model 17 or 617 shows extremely good accuracy:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15705&isFirearm=Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15705&isFirearm=Y

Apparently only the stainless version (617) is available now but the used market place should have many model 17's. The six inch version is a better choice for target shooting as you get a longer sight radius with a longer barrel, meaning you can sight it more accurately than the 4 inch model.

LDBennett
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I suppose of all fire arms, the revolver is the least accurate. I have owned several very accurate .22 revolvers. The most accuarte .22 that I have owned was a Ruger single six, that I wish I still had. At present I own a Taurus 9 shot revolver that is rather good, but will not shoot with my Colt Woodsman Match Target!
  5. LDBennett

carver:

I too have found that I shoot semi-autos better than revolvers but a book published in 2003 by D.F.Geiger ".22 Caliber Handguns" paints a different picture. The author tested 22 handguns in a scientific way (you'll have to read the book to get the details but I think it was a fair and scientific test procedure). The results for accuracy with ammo they liked for the top ten guns were:

Hammerli 208
    S&W Model 17 (revolver)
    Ruger MK II 678G
    Browning Buckmark Plus
    Colt Officer Model Match (revolver)
    S&W Model 41
    Browning Challenger Bull
    Browning Medalist
    Browning Challenger
    High Standard Supermatic 101

It appears in this testing that the revolvers held their own (??). I Have owned both the S&W Model 17 and the superb Dan Wesson in 22 and I could not shoot either gun that well off hand. For the centerfires my S&W revolver rock for accuracy with me shooting them. They put all my semi-auto to shame except for one (S&W Model 52 in 38 Special).

LDBennett
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same is true with my centerfire pistols and revolvers as well! I stand corrected! I was thinking that there are the issues of timing, and such involved with revolvers, that pistols don't have. When thangs work rite.....?
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

As for what's currently available, I think the 617 Smith has got to be one of the finest .22lr revolvers currently made.

Going back a few years to discontinued models my all-time favirite wasn't mentioned. For a few years the Ruger SP-101 was chambered in .22lr. I've got a 4" adjustable sight SP .22lr that is absolutely the sweetest handling little revolver that I've ever shot. Mine locks up tight and the trigger has been polished up superbly. I can zap gophers and cottontails with it out to 40-50yds easily...farther than I can consistently hit with an open-sighted .22 rifle. If you can find one, snap it up...or send me the seller's info (I'd love to have another!)

Another nicely fitted .22lr revolver that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Colt Diamondback. I've only fired one, but it was a super little gun...built like a miniature Python.

I owned a Taurus 941 for a couple years until I found my SP101. Was a nice little trail gun, but not something I'd consider for any type of real accurate work. The several I've checked out have had pretty rough & heavy triggers for a "J-frame" size gun and longer range shooting reflected that lousy trigger. If you can find a 'smith that will tune up a small-frame Taurus then it might make a good little trail gun and occasional bullseye shooter.

I've also owned a H&R 676 which was just your basic el-cheapo .22. The cylinder wasn't timed all that great and the cylinder-gap was way too large. It was hell on the ears to shoot and I never could get it to group consistently.
  8. LDBennett

I had both the S&W Model 17 with a six inch barrel and a Dan Wesson 22 with an 8 3/8 inch barrel and the DW was more accurate off a rest. But I could not shoot either revolver as well as my S&W Model 41 off hand, unrested. Its my problem not the guns.

LDBennett
  9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My Ruger Single Six has been accurate and reliable, plus you get a 22 mag cylinder as well.
  10. tmd11111

tmd11111 New Member

Hands down it's Freedom Arms but your going to pay for it...
  11. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

My ruger single six is the best .22 shooter I have ever personally had. Wont say that you cant find better just my personal favorite. Rabbits and other evil critters got to watch me at 25 yards or they end up on my table {;o)!
  12. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

Thanks for the input, I picked up a single six this weekend. It was new in box, but an older color case hardened frame model, 22lr only though. Has pretty cool white grips with a burned in ruger emblem. the dealer gave me a line of how they only made a few in this configuration. I was more interested in the price of $300 cash. Thats less than I can get a brand new one for and it is a good looking configuration. I will let you know if it out shoots the wifes Heritage Rough Rider. He also had a Mark II Stainless 6 inch NIB for $349. I probably could have got it for 3 bills too, but Semi-Autos just don't do it for me.
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I'm with you. I have a Single Six and a Ruger 22/45 and whenever I reach in the safe for a 22 my hand always grabs the SS and the 22/45 continues it's role as safe queen.
  14. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

I have a 970 taurus tracker 6.5 inch ,a browning buckmark camper and a ruger singel six 5.5inch barrel. out of the three the ruger and the buckmark are close but the buckmark has a fiber optic sight,that gives it a little advantage.I do like all three,but did have to send the taurus back to be repaired.took about two mounths to get back.I would personally go with the ruger with a 6.5 inch barrel,the S&W 617 is anice gun but very expensive.
  15. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

I have a 970 taurus tracker 6.5 inch ,a browning buckmark camper and a ruger singel six 5.5inch barrel. out of the three the ruger and the buckmark are close but the buckmark has a fiber optic sight,that gives it a little advantage.I do like all three,but did have to send the taurus back to be repaired.took about two mounths to get back.I would personally go with the ruger with a 6.5 inch barrel,the S&W 617 is a nice gun but very expensive.