What .22 Rifle is the most accurate?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 300 H&H, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

You see evidence of their death. Ever shoot a sparrow with a .223? The sparrow doesn't fly off so fast they leave a ton of feathers behind.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I recently picked up an older Anschutz and am getting used to shooting it, stock is different than I am used to and I am trying out various ammo. Honestly, I have a Ruger 10/22 from the 70s that doesn't shoot bad at all comparatively to the Anschutz. The Ruger is bone stock too. I don't think Volquartsen would choose to build their rifles around a dog rifle system if it performed as badly as you imply Kirk. I also think the guys at Volquartsen know a bit more about .22s than you do. And, I honestly believe there are lots of modded Rugers out there that would cook you day in and day out. Considering the 10/22 is probably the best selling .22 out there and has proven itself time and time again for decades it is sad that you doubt it and try to put people down that believe it is a good outfit. If I hadn't dropped all my money on a nice Icon Precision Ruger .204 and some old .22s I would love to mod a Ruger and take your money.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

If it were a great rifle as is, no one would be buying all these aftermarket parts. You don't hear of too many people replacing any parts on their Anschutz, Winchester 52, Remington 40x, etc., let alone replacing the vast majority of them.

Don't get me wrong; I have a 10/22, and I love it. My wife gave it to me as a wedding present, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.
    But it's not as accurate as my Remington 512 bolt action from the 1940s, and the 512 isn't even a true target rifle.

Marlin 60 has sold way more than the 10/22. Something like 5 million 10/22s and 11 million Marlin 60s. And mass production sales numbers have absolutely nothing to do with performance anyway. Sales are driven by market, and there are way more people who can shoot 4 MOA and pay for a $200 rifle than who can shoot 1/4 MOA and pay for a $2000+ rifle.

A lot more Honda Civics are sold than Indy cars, and some of those Civics look pretty fast on the highway, but which one is the right choice for serious race?
  4. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

For those who posted so far, thanks for the Education.:) Cliff!
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  5. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Just because you CAN mod something doesn't mean it doesn't rock already. Your theory really makes a lot of cars look bad then. You can mod the heck out of new Mustangs and Cudas and I think that many are pretty great from the factory. Modding is done by many because they want something DIFFERENT from others, not always because they believe the performance is lacking. A 10/22 was designed to be an all around great rifle and it is. It is the AK-47 of the .22 world. I have no doubts I could drop it in mud for a week pull it out, abuse it, and it will keep on ticking. I don't know if your 512 would be so lucky or if you would feel as comfortable leaving it in the mud for a week with my 10/22. The other thing is the 512 probably costs more in today's dollars than the Ruger does. I don't have any problems with it's accuracy. Mine is bone stock with a 70s era Redfield 3x9 scope and at 50 yards I have never had problems with tree rat head shots. Pretty damn impressive to me. It does great at the range too.

And, it depends on the race. If I race around my home ground a civic would beat hell out of an Indy racer. I bet the Indy car would high center within minutes of trying to follow the civic.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

When someone mods a Mustang or Barracuda, they don't replace everything except the frame. Yet anyone who uses a 10/22 for competition does just that. Only the receiver stays; every single other part is replaced.

And you're dead on with the 10/22 being the AK-47 of the .22 world, which is why it's completely out of the discussion for "most accurate rifle." It was never intended for that, and it can't be rebuilt for the purpose. It can be dramatically improved, but there are limits.

$14.95 in 1948. That comes out to $139.54 in 2011 dollars (the most recent year on which data is available).

And I never said that the 10/22 lacks utilitarian accuracy. I'm not making fun of your gun. I'm just being honest about what it is.
    But a squirrel's head is what, 2-3 inches? To hit that at 50 yards is pretty good. But we're talking about rifles that shoot groups in the neighborhood of half an inch or less at twice the distance.

That's why I said "serious race." :rolleyes:
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

8. fatnbad

fatnbad New Member

Define what kind of rifle please..KKJ ?? thxs.
  9. tntlenertz

tntlenertz New Member

i like all the 22s mentioned here but my personal choice for bench shooting would be a mossberg 144 I bought for 225.00 dollars about 15yrs ago is worth mentioning and for in the field for tree rats would be an old glenfield semi auto with PMC Zappers.: