The Firearms Forum banner

What 7.62x25 ammo do i have?

10K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim Hauff 
#1 ·
I bought two boxes of ammo for the M57 yesterday, one a 72 round box of (I was told Polish,) brass cased, box labeled "Cartuse Pentru Pistolet Calibru 7,62 mm 27 buc."

The headstamp is 22 over 84.

The SECOND box has me questioning what I have...the shop did NOT know what make it was, and thought it MIGHT be a little hotter, for Sub guns, and recommended I do NOT fire it through a CZ-52 but said it works fine through any Tokarev...:cool: HHHmmmm...

70 Round box, NO markings except an inked on 5 digit number, I think "13993" and another large "2"

Brass cased headstamp has some figure in an oval at 12 oclock, I think either an "m" or a cyrillic "r" (can't even tell with a glass on it...)

...at 3 oclock it has "33", at 6 oclock it has an "18" and at 9 oclock it has "52"

What do I have, especially with the second box?

#3 ·
Kentucky, I kinda figured it wasn't Polish....it's not like I can READ Polish or anything but I know enough that that WASN'T:p

And Romanian makes sense I have had a bunch of Romanian M44s and I bought about a hundred Romanian surplus ammo pouches and a lot of them had paper packing in them with similar writing...

But I just snuck out back between downpours and put a mag of each through it to function test it and them...:D:D:D

They both worked fine, and the odd stuff actually seemed to be more accurate, although it might have been I was getting used to it after the first mag...but while not slow fire it was pretty fast, as soon as I reaquired the sight picture....I like those sights! Pretty darn close to the what the WIlson COmbats give me on my .45...

I can hold center, I held 6 oclock and you can see the result...but not a bad group for 10 yds with a gun I never fired before!

The only bobble is twice in the first mag the safety moved up enough to block the trigger...I don't know if it went on it's own with recoil or my thumb was nudging it with my grip, but I just switched to high thumb and it shot the rest without a bobble.

I could get used to this gun, and it was a pretty sharp recoil and blast!;)

Attachments

#5 ·
By the way, I remember a few years ago reading about some guys who were handloading .22 caliber 55 grains sabot bullets made for the .308 Accelerator ammo into the 7.62 x 25 case and getting some insane velocities like 2100 fps out of pistols. I guess you'd have to single feed them.

Not sure I see the utility of it, but it sounds like a fun activity, and I guess thats a good reason...LOL.

#6 ·
I don't know yet, my winter carry gun is usually my .45 and my summer gun is my Makarov...Both are reliable as heck and I have a heckuva lot more magazines for each than just the two for the M57....but it IS pretty darn slim compared to the .45 and it is definitely showing some promise...I'll let you know after I have 500 or so rounds through it...:cool:

#7 ·
Polishshooter,
There never was any subgun specific ammo. The Czech's did load some pistol ammo on stripper clips for they're CZ 24 and CZ 26 submachineguns, but it was standard pistol ammo. The rumour about extra hot ammo originated from a bad lot of bulgarian 7.62x25mm that was imported in. All the others may vary some in velocity, but they're safe to shoot. I think the bad stuff was packed in a pale pink paper box. I shoot a lot of the stuff loaded on strippers and it works fine in my CZ 52 or my Toks. Also the Yugo stuff is good when you can find it.

#8 · (Edited)
Well, it's not a tack driver. I put 4 more magazines through it, two fairly rapid fire, and two slow fire for group at 10 yds.

Best group was about 4" from the Romanian, about 5 from the other.

And no malfunctions yet, EXCEPT when I forget the "high thumb" on the safety, which I will have to practice before I use it as a carry gun...I'm used to tucking the thumb under the safety on my .45....

Darn if it doesn't kick brass 20+ feet behind and to the right!:eek:

The Makarov is a heckuva lot more accurate at that range.

#10 · (Edited)
A few years back there was some Bulgarian subgun 7.62x25 ammo kicking around the gunshows. This stuff, typically, came in a cheap, gray paste board box and had a pink glued on label, holding the end closed and was covered with some script that I couldn't read. This ammo was HOT - I bought a couple boxes 'cause it was cheap - but only ever fired 3 rounds through my CZ-52, after firing a box of S&B factory loadings - this stuff produced a fireball twice the size of the S&B and the slide velocity amazed the hell out of me, it launched the empty somewhere into the next county. Internet research indicated that this stuff was made VERY HOT and had blown the chambers on a couple CZ-52s - pictures were available. There used to be a section or a link on the old MAKAROV.com site with warnings about IDing and not using this hyper loaded ammo. Current WOLF GOLD LINE JHP loads are supposed to exceed 1700 fps from a TOKAREV or the CZ, but be lower than max. pressures.

Just checked - the makarov.com site is still active for information only - no longer sell parts nor accessories - check it out. Here's the link for the CZ - 52:
http://makarov.com/cz52/index.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.