What 9 MM to buy?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

walter in florida
    (3/20/02 2:44:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What 9 MM to buy?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My next door neighbor plans to get a 9 MM simi-auto and asked me what I thought was the best to get. He would like to get a new one but may have to go to the used gun route because of cost. I could not give him too much information because I have 2 32ACP simi-autos and 2 S&W 38s not 38 specials. We ruled out pot metal guns like Jennings and Glock because he needs a external hammer. 92FS, I ruled out because the open top slide which could cause a jam when durt gets in there. I recommended the Browning Hi-Power or CZ-75 or their clones. I would what others had luck with and I pass it on. Thnaks Walter In Florida.

Edited by: walter in florida at: 3/20/02 2:53:28 am

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (3/20/02 5:23:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What 9 MM to buy?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Browning Hi-Power . Or for less money, the 9X18 Makarov, or PA-63.

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 7:01:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: What 9 MM to buy?
    Over the last several months, I have rethought the 9mm.
    I've owned several and shot most of the others. Shooter45 has given you an excellent choice. You wouldn't go wrong there. However, my recent research has given me a deeper respect for the CZ- like guns. CZ and the EAA Witness are reliable, accurate, durable and by today's standards relatively inexpensive. Since Glock is out, I would look here for 9mm. In fact, I just ordered a customized EAA Witness for IDPA.

barbon
    (3/21/02 1:06:56 am)
    Good evening,
    Of course I could not resist adding my 2 pfennigs to something of which I am totally ignorant, never having fired a 9mm.

I was at cheaperthandirt in Fort Worth today. They still have
    good quality 15 rnd mags for the 92 FS Beretta. The part
    Mag-139 is made by U S Magazine. Appears to be good quality. Cost $12.97
    I believe they also have the 13 or 14 rnd mag for the Browning. Check their printed catalogue. The store has things not listed in the catalogue, and they will ship.

Life is too short to shoot cheap guns.

walter in florida
    (3/21/02 1:23:50 am)
    I want to thank you all for the help. Me too, never fired a 9MM, so do not have that much experience, had to qualify in the military on a 38 and carried one often. When people turn to me for advice, they are grasping for straws. Thanks again and I will pass the information on. I think he has enough to make a decision.

Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 3:15:10 am)
    9mm and non-Glock....hmmm. If price isn't a big concern an HK USP compact or one of the SIG P series 9's

If want to keep price down, I'm going to have to agree with EAA or CZ
    Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games---Incubus

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/23/02 8:41:53 pm)
    Full size combat 9???? If money is an issue, the Ruger P-89 is the hands down winner. If money is not really a concern, my choice would be a Belgian Hi-Power....(just my .02)
    Your Buddy,
    MO JENKINS

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/23/02 9:17:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Beretta 92FS or 92FSS
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

mashaffer
    (6/8/02 5:40:47 pm)
    Some like the little S&W also (3913) but it can't be thumb cocked if that really matters. I haven't shot one but have shot the slightly larger .45ACP version and I liked it.

Mike

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/10/02 10:37:10 pm)
    I'm still unhappy about selling my Beretta, If I ever find one like it I will buy it no matter the cost.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/11/02 2:17:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Dave,

Which Beretta did you have?
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Bompa
    (6/11/02 6:36:04 pm)
    Of the several 9's that I have owned and still have, in my opinion, the best thing going is the CZ75's..Possibly the best
    shooting of all that I tried over the years.Started with P-38's
    and Star's in the 60's and on to Smiths and Taurus and Browning and S.A. in the recent past and the CZ beats them all hands down..CZ gets more range time then them all..
    Try a CZ75b and you will be hooked for ever...
    Happened to me..
    Check out the CZforum...www.czforum.com

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/11/02 8:04:59 pm)
    Tac It was a Practical or tactical Stainless with Night Sights and two factory 15 rounders. Hit the first fence post I aimed at.

Rich in Lincoln
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/13/02 3:09:00 pm)
    I CAN’T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE EAA WITNESS!!!

I have one in 9mm and one in 10mm and they are the best shooters I own! I am going to get one in .45acp soon.
    I have had other more expensive 9mm; Glock 19, a Browning, and a Smith and Wesson. I prefer the EAA!
    Good luck.
    -Rich

seb1899
    (6/26/02 2:56:49 pm)
    I second the motion by M O Jenkins

I have a Ruger KP89 with a manual safety and it shoots anything you put in it. I really think this firearm is underrated. You can get preban hi-cap mags and you can dress it up with aftermarket grips.

If you buy a used one check the vintage by sn becuse there must have been a mag mod as it is a different mag for sn304-70000 and above.

A very accurate and very, very reliable pistol for very little $, either new or used. It is hard to beat because of the double action is shot after the safety drops the hammer and single action after that

antediluvianist
    (1/26/03 8:16:01 am)
    Hi there Rich in Lincoln. Antediluvianist here in Manila. I saw your email posted last June, 2002. You had good things to say about the EAA Witness in 9mm.

I can buy a CZ 75 (the original), or a Tanfoglio 9mm., same as your Witness butover here we can use the 15-round mag. legally.

Truthfully, if you had your druthers, wouldn't you have rather owned a CZ 75?

And, now that seven more months have passed, do you still feel as enthusiastic about your Witness?
    Thank you for your time and help.

MTaylor
    (1/26/03 10:58:23 am)
    I'll second the Ruger P-89 vote. It's inexpensive, reliable, the manufacturer stands behind it when necessary, and most importantly, the safety is also a de-cocker. Something that I would strongly recommend for a first time handgun owner.

In fact, any of the modern 9mm's with a de-cocker would be at the top of my list.

1badmagnum
    (1/26/03 2:05:05 pm)
    taurus pt 92 or a cz type pistol.
    imi jerico is $386 and the taurus about $400 from gunfinder.

Silver72
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/26/03 3:13:20 pm)
    Walt didn't say how the buyer is planning to use the 9mm. If it's just going to lie around the house to defend his property then size doesn't matter. If he plans to carry that is a different consideration. Then there is the target shooting pleasure. He will need to a lot of pratice with whatever he buys. Some guns will fill all of these aspects, but not all.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/27/03 9:53:47 am)
    Throwing in my 2 cents, only own one 9 mm, its a Egyptian Helwan with extra magazine. (gun was a gift from son)

This firearm is a take-off on the Brigadier Burette and Taurus which seems mighty reliable.

But for the money and excellent reports I'm hearing...Witness is your gun.

One of these days I'm going to get one myself.

Gunguy

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/03 10:00:28 am)
    Witness might be a great gun but why buy a copy when the original is available ??? Can't beat the CZ75b..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sig230
    (1/27/03 12:11:46 pm)
    In the under $300.00 range I'd suggest the ARCUS 94 or 98 (98 is DOA, 94 is SA only) at about $220.00, the FEG PJK 9HP at around $250.00 or the FM M-94 at about $300.00.

At the $400.00 level I'd suggest the CZ-75.

And at the under $200.00 level the STAR B or Super B or what IMHO is the best polymer compact ever made period, the STAR UltraStar.

antediluvianist
    (1/29/03 2:05:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del your EAA Witness
    hello. I read your post, indicating that you have ordered a custom EAA Witness for IDPA. I am thinking of buying a Tanfoglio 9mm. - same as Witness. My gunclub has a special on them. On the internet, I see about 25% of postings saying that Tanfoglios are pieces of junk; 50% of postings are very positive; the last 25% are so-so.
    May I ask: why did you choose the Witness?

denfoote
    (2/17/03 4:22:06 am)
    The Browning High Power is indeed a good choice!! As far as the Ruger goes, I prefer the P95, only because it fits my hand better. The P89 is a very good gun. Of the two, the Ruger will be less expensive.
    Glocks may come and Glocks may go, but Walther endures forever!!

NEtracker
    (2/17/03 1:17:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 9mm
    I vote for the Browning Hi Power.
    Great shooter!

fredarmory
    (2/17/03 10:03:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 9mm
    I had the TZ variation, not particularly impressed,
    you might like the real CZ-75,
    I prefer the Walthers, any one, you won't be disappointed!

BigBore
    (2/18/03 10:59:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del CZ 75
    I would have to vote for the CZ 75. I have shot many 9mm's (S&W, Beretta, Taurus, SIG, etc.) and the CZ 75's have impressed me the most. Recently I was very upset because I could not afford to replace a Kimber I once had and had to settle for a new CZ 75B that I bought for $380 tax and all. It is very accurate. So much that it is has eased the pain of not having a nice Kimber 1911. I have noticed that more and more people are shooting CZ's as of late. There must be a reason for it.

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/18/03 11:28:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ 75
    The reason you see more CZ's lately is that you get so much
    for your money..Quality,accuracy,good looks all in one great package..Probably the best feeling gun in hand today and the triggers aren't bad by a long shot..
    The only thing wrong with a CZ is that they are addictive..One is not enough..

1badassmagnum
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/19/03 12:21:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: CZ 75
    the taurus pt 92 9mm is a very well made accurate pistol.I like the ss finish better than basic black found on most cheap 9mm pistols.

NEtracker
    (2/20/03 12:08:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 9mm
    Crap, Can't buy new CZ's here in MA, and CZ USA says no plans to certify here. Used ones are very scarce here (used must be in state prior to 10/9 .
    On another note, Walther P99 is a nice pistol, but on the higher price end, unless you find a good used deal.

NEtracker
    (2/20/03 12:13:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del typo
    Guess you can't go back & edit?
    That was supposed to be prior to 10/98, when the MA BAN law made it illegal to sell most new handguns.
    Only a handfull of manufacturers can sell New here.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/20/03 2:04:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del What 9MM to Buy
    NEtracker, Save a little more money and get the Browning Hi-Power.

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/20/03 3:23:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What 9MM to Buy
    Shooter the BHP is not on the list either..Smith,Walther,Sig and maybe Baretta are all that are allowed to be sold here.Very few used guns on the market because there are no new replacements..The last NIB CZ's I saw for sale were priced almost $100 over MSLP and I would bet that they still sold..
    All this in the state that was the cradle of liberty...

docreg
    (2/22/03 1:05:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del What 9mm to buy
    I think the statement about Glock being a "pot metal" gun is born of ignorance. You either don't know what "pot metal" is, or you have no experience with Glocks. Sounds more like sour grapes because of the cost of a quality gun.

My wife shoots and carries a 9mm Glock model 19 for her self protection, with my full blessing. I carry a Glock model 30, because it is the safest concealed carry .45ACP there is; i.e. no external hammer, no extra safety, ready "half cock" double action for first shot, safe carry of chambered round, no possibility of accidental firing with dropping or rough handling, and 11 shot capacity. Just point and pull the trigger, like a high capacity revolver, that won't jam because of dirt or water in it.

I own SIGS, S&Ws, Colts, Glocks, Kimbers, Israli Arms, Rugers, and several others in .45ACP, and I still carry the Glock.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it should at least be an informed one.

Doc Reg
    CCW Instructor
    NRA Instructor
    CA DOJ Certified Instructor

kmad61
    (2/23/03 12:46:44 pm)
    You cant go wrong with the Ruger p95 or the CZ 75,both are quality pistols and both are under $400.Ive got both and they are guns you can bet your life on.

OgerMan
    (2/24/03 7:28:24 pm)
    3 words! Browning Hi-Power! I'll have to admit, the CZ variants from EEA and the Rugers are darn fine Weapons, and any one handed reloader would be hard pressed to blow one up! if your seeking a DA auto that would defiantly be the way to go, BUT,,,, the Browning has been around a long time! parts are available by the gross. ported barrels can had for under 80 bucks, and if you like hi-cap clips,dozens of 13 rnd clips (and some 30's!) are still available at gun shows for around 7 bucks a pop, and other alterations are endless! now that you've had a ton of input, the best bet is to go to your local dealer with this new ammo, and see witch one fit's your pal to is liking and price range! in the end, you should never buy a weapon because of OPOP'S (other peoples opinions!), just use it for broadening your selection to weapons you might not have looked at, or looked for!

303brit
    (2/25/03 9:41:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 9-mm
    My vote goes to the Ruger P95, I have had one for about 5 years and after over a thousand rounds it has never malfunctioned once.
    Best deal for the price.
  2. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

"Pot Metal" Glock ? that is the most uninformed phrase I have ever read...the Glock is one of the best sidearms available anywhere
    Last edited: May 31, 2003
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Logansdad, you are quite right, there are those that believe in the Glock for everything and then there are those that do not. The Glock is a decent weapon, but IMO there is just too much plastic. I, for one, am a slab side man. Many opinions differ in this respect.

I owned a 40S&W Glock and sold it after getting the SPROING from the trigger pull
    Last edited: May 31, 2003
  4. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

SPROING... Hmmmmmmmmmmm, sprained groin?

J/K :D
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Yea, Zig, from the spring harmonics when ya pull the trigger!

Attached Files:

6. joy

joy New Member

Hello,
    I'm new to this site, but I stumbled across it today and was drawn to chime in. I'm your typical grandmother gun nut. <wink> I'm a private security officer and pre-licensing instructor. Our school has been described as the closest thing around here short of police academy. I know a lot of people, especially law enforcement swear by the Glock. To each his own. But personally I don't like them, I think because they seem too much like plastic to me. I'm a very tactile person. I like touching things like leather and velvet, and I like steel and wood and something solid and substantial. For a service weapon I still like a revolver, probably because they're easier for me to keep clean. I'm looking for a S&W686 to carry on duty. But I also need to get a new 9mm for class purposes. I'm thinking I want an EAA Witness. I really like them. And when someone takes a class I have to have something for demo purposes. Sometimes they don't have their own firearm to qualify on the range so I have to furnish one for them. I'd rather see a newbie wait till after the training than to run out and buy something they regret out of ignorance. Anyway, I believe the Witness is a good all purpose firearm that serves these purposes and is comfortable for me also. I'm hoping I can find one at a reasonable price or even get one used for now. Anyone got any suggestions about finding one? There's a gun show here this weekend, and of course I have to work 12 hours both days. Grrrrrr.
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Instead of buying the EAA Witness, which is a clone, why not buy the original, the CZ75?

Prices are good, quality is great. Reliability is excellent. You should be able to find one reasonably easy.
  8. joy

joy New Member

Thanks JohnK3,
    You have a point. A partner of mine has a CZ, and he swears by it. I've shot it before. But I don't recall it being that model. I believe it was a higher caliber. That may be one reason I hadn't considered the CZ75. I'll start looking around for one. Another friend thinks I need a Smith and Wesson. It may depend on what I find, and I'm networking. They're looking for me as well.

Let Safety be Your Main Target.

Joy

PS My signature close reminded me of last Saturday. My partner was teaching a KY Carry Conceal class. I was working elsewhere and missed it. They were waiting on availability of the outdoor range to qualify; another instructor was qualifying his class. Are you ready for this??? The instructor lines up the class on the firing line, he walks to the end of the line then steps 4 feet forward of the line of fire and proceeds to instruct the class to fire. My partner actually caught it on video with his phone. Okay, everyone's a range safety officer; can we all say, "Cease Fire!"? Jeezzz
  9. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

10. stetson

stetson New Member

Any of the glocks;17,19,26,34 work for me.
  11. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

Since you've decided not to go the Beretta 92FS/Taurus PT92 route and are opting for a pistol with an external hammer, I'd like to suggest a Ruger P95.

www.taurusarmed.net
  12. boilerman86

boilerman86 New Member

I just shot a Smith & Wesson Military and Police 9mm....loved it. I dont have much experience shooting handguns and i was putting 15/17 shots in a 5 inch group at 10 yards and it never jammed. We put 200 rounds through it and it didnt jam or misfire once. Loved it and am currently looking out for one for myself.
  13. john parker

john parker New Member

I personally think a Ruger P-95 is a fine way to go for basic reliability in a 9mm. Sure like mine.
  14. KJHB

KJHB New Member

I love my Springfield Armory XD-9 Ported. It feels better than the glock hold 16+1 and is easy to carry all way concealed.
  15. puzzlekeeper

puzzlekeeper New Member

look at the ruger p95 they are real nice and you can get 15 round mags for them and they need no work great right out of the box
  16. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I like CZ semi auto pistols, Ruger revolvers and assorted other semi's such as the Bersa 380, Witness Compacts in 10mm and 45ACP. So many good ones and so little money!
  17. Thunderhawk88

Thunderhawk88 New Member

For metal frame a CZ-75, for poly a Ruger P95, or a Glock 17 or 19.
  18. RMT

RMT New Member

Why does he "need" an external hammer??

I vote BHP. Love those guns. They are very nice.
  19. LarryD

LarryD New Member

How about a Smith & Wesson CS9?