What 9mm ammo do you prefer for defense and for practice?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Radio Zek, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Radio Zek

Radio Zek New Member

This is my first post but I have been reading the forums here for about 6 months. I am just curious as to what you guys use in a 9mm (I'm not getting a 45!) for home defense/ccw and what you use for practice. I would also like to know what kind of gun/barrel length you are using said ammo in. I'm currently using 115gr WWB FMJ for practice and Remington Green Box 115gr JHP when not practicing (I have practiced with them as well to make sure they feed reliably). I am also up for suggestions as what to run for defense out of my Kel-Tec P-11 3.1" barrel. I have been pondering the idea of carrying +P ammo but I hate to run 100+ rounds of hi-dollar stuff in my Kel-Tec that states +P is good to use SPARINGLY. I am aware that there is no "magic bullet"; I'm asking for suggestions and curious as to what you all run. Thanks!

Oh yeah, I have recently qualified for my permit and I'm hoping to get the actual license in 6 weeks or so...it seems like forever. :D
  2. Welcome to TFF, Radio!

Like you, I like a 9mm as a home-defense pistol and it is a really excellent target weapon also. Ammo is pretty cheap and it is extremely accurate. As for ammo, I generally shoot Winchester "White Box" 115 grainers for target, or the Independence brand, which is actually loaded by Federal. Both are hardball and both work quite well in my pistols. If you keep your eyes open though, you can sometimes find other brands on sale at Cheaper-Than-Dirt or Sportsman's Guide along with several other places online. Sometimes you will also see surplus NATO 9mm for sale which is 124 grain and works quite well too.

As for "serious" ammo, I prefer Corbon 115 grain +Ps. Others may disagree with this, but the stats seem to support my choice. Another good load is the Federal HydraShok round in 125 grain loading. A third, and also good choice, is the Gold Dot load made by Speer. This is the duty load issued by many police departments nation-wide.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Radio

I would say anything hollowpoint
  4. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

For pratic I either use winchester (white box) 115 FMJ, or my reloads.

My protection load is either the cor-bon 115+p or the Hydro-shock 124+p+. My Glock19's and 26 really like the Hydro-Shock but they handle the Cor-Bon load well.
  5. Radio Zek

Radio Zek New Member

I've been considering the Corbon, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Hydrashoks....I can't decide if I want to run +P or not. I'm leaning towards the 115gr; it seems they expand better out of a short barrel. I just picked up some reloading equipment so I may try out a little of everything at different pressures. Whatever I take a liking to I'll probably buy the factory ammo for carry...If I have to use it, that will be one less thing that can be brought up in court.