What a difference a bushing makes.

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Glocker, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Glocker

Glocker New Member

A couple weeks ago, I took my Springfield GI to the range, and wasn't very happy with the accuracy. It seemed to be patterning more like a shotgun than a pistol.

A few people recommended that I try a different bushing, so I ordered an EGW angle-bored bushing from Brownell's after taking the measurements on my gun. It required a bit of fitting on the OD, but the ID was perfect. After I was finished, it was a much tighter fit than the stock Springfield bushing. Total cost for the bushing + shipping was about $25.

I went back to the range today, and you can see the before and after targets below. The first was from a couple weeks ago, the second from today. Both were shot offhand at 25 yards with 21 rounds. It's hard to believe, but the bushing knocked almost 2" off the grouping. Talk about bang for the buck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Neil

Neil New Member

why does my SA GI.45 Champion not have a Barrel bushing ?
  3. Glocker

Glocker New Member

Does it have a bull barrel?
  4. CBR1000RR

CBR1000RR New Member

wow nice results!
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Glocker:

Over the years I have done many things to my Colt 10mm Delta Elite. I too did a bushing but the single biggest accuracy improver was the "Group Gripper" sold by Brownells. It is a spring guide that includes a new link. The internals of the device include a spring that pushes the barrel up into the slide when the gun is in battery. This gives repeatable consistant positioning of the barrel to the slide. My group sizes were reduced by 30%. It installs in the place of the stock spring guide and the new link replaces the orginal. There is no permanent modification to the gun so you could go back to original when and if you sell it, if so desired. It is not all that expensive. Try it you may like it.

LDBennett
  6. Neil

Neil New Member

that's one that tapers bigger at the end, then ya I think so.
  7. Glocker

Glocker New Member

That's why it doesn't have a bushing.
  8. Neil

Neil New Member

I guess you can tell I'm new to the .45 world. it's my first one.
  9. kravi

kravi New Member

Well, congratulations :) It's kinda like ... well, no decent simile comes to mind. And don't listen to those "other" folks trying to compare other rounds to the .45ACP. It's just an inferiority complex. :D

--kravi
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Glocker,

Now fit a barrel link and do a trigger job and watch the groups shrink more.
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Just a point of info: the "group gripper" (originally, by Dwyer) brownells sells is a $25 way to avoid a proper length link, and fitting the lug, and barrel hood, as they should be fitted.
    As costs of labor soar, few manufacturers spend the time/money precicion fitting requires, on anything.
    The lug, within which the link is pinned, should force the barrel up into the slide when the slide comes forward into battery; if one pushes down on the top of the barrel, it should not depress, given all is well fitted.
    The link, while often used to "lock up " the barrel, was designed ONLY to cam down the barrel, in recoil.
    The barrel hood, that chunk of metal at the top of the barrel, longer than the rest, is what determines how far forward the slide goes.
    All three gotta work in concert, fot accuracy.
    Clever guy, old John M Browning; when one of his designs is lacking in accuracy, one can almost always analyse the design, and fix the problem, invariably by properly fitting the parts!
    Make your own judgements as which way to proceed, but in my opinion, the 1911 needs no additional parts!
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  12. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

"Clever guy, old John M Browning; when one of his designs is lacking in accuracy, one can almost always analyse the design, and fix the problem, invariably by properly fitting the parts!"

The basic 1911 design is very sound, but you've gotta remember the ol' John M. was designing a pistol for the military. Therefore, the design tolerances were made purposely loose so the firearm would function under worst-case military conditions......boiling hot or freezing cold, in dirt, dust, or mud.

The genius of that design is.....tighten the tolerances, and you tighten your group sizes......it's as simple as that.
  13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

My Springfield Armory 1911 "patterned" like yours until I made a few changes. Fitting the barrel, link and bushing will definately tighten your groups.

Attached Files:

14. stash247

stash247 New Member

Xracer. .45, you guys said what I did, only better.
    Request from me to the list: I'm not real computer literate, so the stuff I really want to save is on paper, and I'm not good at filing, either! Somewhere, I have a dimensioned print of the M-1911 Pistol, cal .45. I cannot find it, and would like to buy another. This was an engineering drawing, from which I worked backwards, some years ago, to arrive at optimum (design) dimensions.
    Anybody know where they are available??? Should be required reading, for all who contemplate accuracy, and would be very popular, on this forum, I'm sure!
  15. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*