1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What a difference grips make!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mesinge2, Feb 4, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I had two revolvers that were uncomfortable to shoot to the extent that I never took them out of the safe.

At the suggestion of a THR member I tried changing the grips. I ordered Hogue Exotic Hardwood grips for both and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I am actually more accurate with them and even though I went from rubber to wood on one of them the recoil seems to be reduced.

I think it is because the grips fill my hand better on the wood ones.

I was just wondering if anyone else got grips that changed their perspective on a weapon?

P.S. Here are the before and after for both guns:

.44 Mag Ruger Redhawk

View attachment 33718
    View attachment 33719

.357 Mag S&W M19-4

View attachment 33720
    View attachment 33721
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    yes,all my revolvers and as many of my semi autos as possible have grips that are the same config.i always tell anybody that the gun must be comfortable for them to shoot well.you have found out what many of us already knew. old semple fi
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

i noticed this with regards to 1911s. shot a taurus with some kind of grips they come factory with. they seriously just chap your hands. the ones on my ria are alot more comfortable and smoother.
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I grew up in the era of checkered grips and I cannot shoot any DA revolver with smooth grips. A .22 maybe, but nothing with any kick. I just can't get a comfortable hold on the gun. I love the way smooth grips look, but I can't shoot with them.

I like to shoot N-frame S&W revolvers, but the factory wood is not for me. I find the Pachmayr and Hogue rubber grips both work great for these large-frame revolvers.

I keep the factory stocks for the good looks, but shoot with rubber. Works for me.
  5. Harralson

Harralson New Member

Yes, I added a hogue grip to my Ruger SBH and now it is more comfortable to shoot and I am more accurate with it. Unfortunatly, they do detract from the appearance of the gun.
  6. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I can't explain it but the wood grips just seem to transfer less recoil energy to my hand than the rubber ones.

Go Figure...
  7. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Just shot a group picture of four of my revolvers with my favorite grips.
    I have others but these are my favorite grips.

The staghorn grips work surprisingly well, I think its because it is only a 38 and the recoil is not bad due to the 3" bull barrel on the model 64.
    I tried them on the 357, big mistake.

View attachment 33755

P.S. Post pics of your favorite grips!

It will give me ideas for future purchases :D
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  8. Michael G

Michael G New Member

I put a Hogue combat grip on my SP101 in .357 and it made a world of difference.
  9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My Superblackhawk that I got in the early 80's. The smooth grips just didn't do it for me with full house 44 mag loads. I put on pachmyers and that tamed it down.
  10. henry77

henry77 New Member

I love the look of fine wooden grips; however, Pachmyers work better for me. Just purchased a S&W Model 28 and have a new set of Pachmyer grips waiting on it.

I want wood stocks on my rifles. Do not like rubber stocks on rifles.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010