what a week...already!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sluggermn, Jan 18, 2005.

1. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

It is only tue and already it has been a really bad week!!
    for starters my car has been acting up and dying at stop lights and any time I leave it idiling..
    then sunday it wont start at all and I have to spend an hour working on it in 30 below temps out side ( that is NOT including the wind chill factor).
    mon morning I get a call from my wife she has been in a accident, she got rear-ended. I go get her, and get the car to the body shop... it is totaled has extensive damage to the rear end and the cost to fix is is more than the total value of the car.
    I missed work last night due to 2 things #1 dealing with the mess of the accident (ins to call ect), and Hannahs emotional state (pretty shook up) and #2 my car died. so we have BOTH vehicles in the shop and had to go out today and rent a car for me to get to work and her mom is going to taxi her to school and back
    and the other guy's insurance is dragging their behinds, and wont admit fault yet. so the rental comes out of our pocket For now.
    geez I hope the rest of the week goes better than the last two days!!! :mad:

thanks for letting me vent
    Slugger

ps. Hannah is fine physically just shook up THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!!!!!!
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I was under the impression that any time you rear end someone, you're automatically at fault. I don't think they have a choice in this. Maybe your state laws are different, though.

Sorry to hear your week is going poorly.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Minnesota law does put the presumption of fault on the driver of the vehicle hitting from behind. I'm surprised the insurer hasn't taken that into account.

I can't remember whether or not Minnesota is a contributory megligence or a comparative negligence state. That could possiblymake a difference in the amount of a settlement in a case.
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Sorry for the bad turn of events, Slugger. We never realize how much we depend on our vehicles until they aren't available. :(

So glad that Hannah is unharmed. Tell her we're thinking about her. :)
  5. BobbyWins

BobbyWins New Member

Over the past year or so,I've noticed that a lot of the insurance companies are really draggin' their feet.
    Was there any other vehicles involved?If so,then that's probably part of the hang-up.Any reason they can find to delay payment makes/saves them money.The longer that money stays in their account,the more interest they make.

BW
  6. fishermanben

fishermanben New Member

Grind it out paying for your own rental. Whatever you do, don't turn it in to your own company, or even tell them unless you absolutely have to.

Ben the Insurance Agent
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

GOOD to hear that Hannah is OK.
    Hope your week gets better.
  8. Carl S

Carl S New Member

Glad to hear that your wife is OK. Here's hoping your week improves!
  9. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

I hope your week gets better.
  10. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

First, glad Hanna is OK. Cars are just possessions and can be replaced. People cannot be.

Second, check the laws in your state. In my state, it'snot always the fault of the person that does the hitting...sometimes it's the front car.

Third and finally, get a copy of the police report then file a claim with the other persons carrier, in person if possible. Be firm but not rude. Rude will put the opposing adjuster off and cause them to really drag their feet. Firm relays the message that you are speaking from a position of power, and many adjusters will listen and asist you if at all possible. Do not be afraid to play on their sympathy.

Best wishes with this.