1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What about Kahr

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

mudducky
    (8/15/01 2:24:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What about Kahr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was just looking at the Kahr web site. What do you guys think of this handgun? Seems kinda rich for my blood, maybe find a used one. Let me know good or bad, I can take it.
    Again thanks,

AntiqueDr
    (8/15/01 2:37:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What about Kahr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Top-notch. Apples and oranges from Hi-Point, no possible comparison.

Seriously, consider Kel-Tec if the price-point is an issue.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

compgunfire
    (8/15/01 4:10:54 pm)
    Check out the new "P" series KAHRs, poylmer frame, steel slide. I believe this was Kahr's way to lower the price and appeal to more customers. I have a P9 (9mm) and love it for everyday carry in an IWB rig.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/15/01 5:11:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: What about Kahr
    I agree, Kahr is a super fine weapon, it's the only
    undercover/off duty weapon that the NYPD allows
    their officers to carry other than small .38cal weapons.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/15/01 9:21:58 pm)
    I do remember reading that the company was owned by Rev. Moon.. That is one big turnoff to me..

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (8/15/01 11:15:03 pm)
    Wilson Combat sells a custom version of the Kahr pistol. They also do custom work on customer supplied Kahrs. Wilson won't work on junk so these must be good pistols.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/15/01 11:34:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: What about Kahr
    Kahr now owns "Auto Ordnance Corp."(Thompson).
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

needleace
    (10/1/01 10:47:21 am)
    The company is owned by Kevin Moon- Rev. Moon's son.
    Started it at the age 25(now is 30). Parent company is a corporation Sailoo (I think this spelling is incorrect). Unsure of
    who owns that. Ayoob is hot on the Kahr's; about every other article out is about them with rave reviews. Have been checking on them-lowest price P-9 NIB is $433. But there many listed under that at Gunsamerica and some low priced new ones at Gunbroker.com
  2. stash247

stash247 New Member

I have a MK-9, a pre-production, dealers sample, I believe, s/n xxxxx004.
    On the heavy side, as it is all SS, but eats what you feed it, without question. NO MALFUNCTIONS, to date; has swallowed about 4500 rds, and accurately expelled all.
    It's all Detonics tried to do in their little 9mm pistol, and this one WORKS!
    Have as well, two of S&W's Ti-Lite revolvers, which weigh less than half what the Kahr does, in .38 Spl (+P is OK).
    The Kahr is perfect, and absolutely indestructible, but lacks "Second strike" capability, and weighs too much. Have yet to fondle the polymer framed Kahr, but, based on my reading, it's still a bit heavier, empty, than the 10 1/2 oz (empty) Smith.
    Guess what I'm saying is this: The Kahr is a reliable, accurate, well built pistol, which ought to last for 3 or 4 lifetimes of shooting. It's ambidexterous, since, as a DAO pistol, it has no external levers. the 9mm P is a really efficient round, and can be on a par with the .357 mag, with the right loads.
    But, if you can get by with 5 rds, vs Kahr's 7, there are comparable power revolvers out there, for the same money, at half the weight.
    Decisions, decisions, decisions.....
  3. Wadcutter

Wadcutter New Member

I too had a Kahr Mk9 and I loved the little gun. True, it was a bit heavy for a pocket, but perfect for an inside the pants holster. I did encounter one problem with the gun though.

The weapon is made of all stainless steel except for one crucial part, the recoil spring guide. It is constructed in such a way that it can actually break under fire. The rod ends in a “disk” at the muzzle end of the frame, which holds the guide-rod assembly together. Examine one and you can see what I mean.

This gun failed me after about 400 rounds by literally snapping off at the disk rendering the gun useless. I attempted to contact Kahr Arms by e-mail and by phone. My communications were never returned. Doing a bit of research on my own, I discovered that there were no all steel replacement guides anywhere for this little gun. The only thing I could get was a factory replacement of the same useless plastic crap.

For the life of me I cannot understand why Kahr would use plastic in such a key component in an otherwise all steel gun. I traded mine in on a scandium smith .357 that weighs in at 12 ounces. Five rounds of .357 over six rounds of 9mm. If you’re serious about self-defense, get a good quality revolver. I have never had one to fail under stress. I'm not saying it can't happen, only it's never happened to me. And I shoot a lot.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Waddy, yer preaching to the choir! But, I like the way you think.
    Still got the Kahr, never had a problem, but what you say is true.
    FWIW, the recoil spring is a Seecamp design, used on their .32, and .380 pocket guns, I believe, and on the little Para Ord (P10 & P12) .45acp's, due to length limitation on a single spring.
    In a colt-type pistol, the spring can't get loose and tie up the gun, as it's surrounded by the dust cover in the front of the receiver; the Kahr is unsupported, as the spring is offset to clear the trigger parts, in the right side of the receiver, and could easily, if loose, tie up the gun.
    Might take a few days, but I may just re-design the part to a two piece design, in 304 stainless, and take it for a test drive at the range, just to prove to myself it can be done.
    I'll let you, and the list, know, when I do. Might even tell Kahr.
    Guess the Air-lite Smith won't get time off, just yet, from my pocket!
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Another thought- what about a 2-piece set up, like on the Colt Officer's , and a pin to take down???
  6. oldguy

oldguy New Member

Mk9, excellent, accurate, mild recoil, and Wolff springs now make a replacement rod and spring for it however at 500 plus rounds have
    not had problems.