What Aircraft of World War Two had the BEST kill ratio...

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by polishshooter, Sep 20, 2006.

?

Which WWII Aircraft had the best kill ratio of the war?

1. Noth American P-51 Mistang

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Messerschmidt Bf109

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Chance Vought F4U Corsair

17 vote(s)
    27.4%
  4. Brewster Buffalo

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Tom

Tom Member

You might have a high kill record if you spent 4 yrs. on the Russian Front like Hartmann did. He may not have lost a wingman, but Hartmann was shot down a number of times.

The Germans and the Japanese put their guys in the cockpit and left them there. They left the cockpit when they were too badly injured to fly or got killed. The US rotated our guys out and put them in flight schools as instructors. By the end of the war, we had far more capable pilots than either the Japanese or Germans, and the kill records reflect that.

Richard Bong was the top scoring American ace. He had 40 kills in the SW Pacific in P-38s. When he reached 40, he was rotated out and put on a war bond drive.
  2. That he was, Tom, and then ironically, he was killed after the war flight testing a P-80 Shooting Star that flamed out at low altitude. It is believed also that Bong likely had at least twice the number of kills he was actually credited with, but those were unverified by observation of another pilot or gun camera footage, and thus not officially credited.
  3. Tom

Tom Member

He forgot to turn on the fuel boost pump. Without the boost pump, the engine could be started and you could take off, but shortly after take-off, the engine would flame out. Happened to more than one guy. Bong's happened on VJ day, no less.
  4. nightfighter

nightfighter New Member

Did you mean: "Whistling Death"?
  5. nightfighter

nightfighter New Member

I have just finished watching the series "Dogfights, Season One" on DVD, available from NetFlix. Great series, uses computer graphics and animation to explain the real life aerial encounters of WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, Israeli wars.
    I recommend this viewing to all War Buffs.
  6. nightfighter

nightfighter New Member

Point of order: I always considered the Russo-Finnish war separate from WWII. I know that the Finns were allied with Germany but have no knowledge of them engaging in hostilities with the allies during WWII.

Also, although I have seen films about the Russo-Finnish land war, I have never seen any reference to the air war of that conflict. Has anyone seen any videos about that conflict?
  7. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

The P-38 K would have been a boon in the KTO during the early days, for sure !! By 1944 Procurement was already looking at jets. And then there's the usual bureaucratic inertia to overcome, of course..... >MW
  8. jpmccr

jpmccr New Member

Here is a classic that flew in for a local airshow. One of my top favorites!!! Goodyear FG-1D Corsair, can you say yummmm??? Simply an amazing aircraft.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  9. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    Is it true to say the Aircobra's downfall in the Pacific theatre of war, was its lack of range.
    While the Russians were flying very short distances from their airfields. (just heard that somewhere).....just shout at me if I'm wrong.
  10. sewerman

sewerman New Member

very good article on the p-38k.

now i want to rush out and purchase a p-47 use the prop blades on a p-38 with some tweets i might end up with a facimile of a p-38 prototype.

sewerman
  11. sewerman

sewerman New Member

just like the northern army ordnance dept showing little interest in repeaters,
    considered them ammo wasteful.
    and then the british, according to rumor, were offered the designs for the Fn-FAL in the early 40's but refused it being conservative with their cut out volley fire no1 MK III's. here's the link on the belgians working at enfield. though this particular article doesn't substantiate the rumor it does place the belgians there from 1940 until war's end. http://www.mg0815.com/FALinfo.htm

sewerman
  12. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Hey, you left out the F6F Hellcat. I believe this plane had the most kills. TJ
  13. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Here's a neat factoid:

The F4U was the only piston fighter to shoot down a jet fighter in the Korean war (so far that is considering the war is not over)

A Mig 15 pilot made the mistake of turning with a Corsair.
  14. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

My grand father praises the Corsir for it role in Korea but I thought Chuck Yeager shot down the first jet fighter in a P51?
  15. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Wasn't that an ME 262 in WWII though?
  16. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I believe so and I also think the plane was either taking off or landing I cant remember.
  17. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    The first Me 262 combat loss occurred on 8-28-1944 near Chievers, Belgium; Maj Joe Myers of the 78th FG in a P-47D Thunderbolt forced (not shot!) down a Me-262 flown by Lauer, the pilot escaped, but, the aircraft was lost.
    The first Me 262 to be shot down (rather than forced down) by Allied fighters was on October 5, 1944, by Spitfire Mk.XIVs of No. 401 Squadron, RCAF.( Dog fight)

Two Me 262s were downed while taking off on 10-7-1944 by Lt Urban L Drew.

Milestone air battle: on 4-10-1945 the largest air action with Me 262s took place when 55 Me 262s intercepted more than 2,000 US aircraft attacking targets in the Berlin area and claimed 10 B-17s and 7 fighters for the loss of 27 Me 262s with 13? others damaged.

Most of the losses were put down to mechanical failure, but it is possible that a B17 could have claimed the first kill ???

I'M MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER :confused::rolleyes::cool::eek::(:)
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009