what ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by M-66, Oct 3, 2008.

1. M-66

M-66 New Member

Hey Y'all,
    I have a 12 gauge Ithica m-66 super single shotgun...... The gun can take a 3 inch shell but i am looking for a good starter ammo seeing is how i ain't shot the thing yet... i have been told to start with 2 3/4 inch buck shot but i have been also told thats too strong.Please let me know what i should buy.....Thank you!!
  2. XP100

XP100 Member

Get some 1 oz. trap loads. The 66's have a lot of recoil due to light weight. 1oz. will have less recoil.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Just make a run down to Walleyworld and pick up a box of bird shot. This is low base and does not have the power of full 12ga. loads. Work your way up to the hi-base loads, then on up to the full house 00 buck in 2 3/4" loads, then on up to 3" if you want to shoot them. I own a 12ga. single shot chambered for 3" and shoot 00 buck all the time in it. I hunt birds, squirles, and deer with mine. I also have a Remington 1100, and I love the gun, but it is heavy. Most of the time I just take the old single barrel. I usually carry at least one round in my left hand for that quick second shot if I need it, and while deer hunting I will carry two rounds of 00 buck in my left hand, between the fingers. That gives me three shots as fast as I can load the gun, if needed. This works great for multiple targets like you would get while squirle, or bird hunting.

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!
  4. Shellback

Shellback New Member

This is my starting load Winn. AA hulls, 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2 or 8 shot, WA112 wads, 21 grains Universal Clays. it is a light to med load and a very good starter load. I load sabot's, OO buck, and every thing in between slugs you name it not with that load per say thats just a good starter load:) oh yea winn. 209 primers
    Tim
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 to starting with low-brass Dove & Quail loads.
  6. M-66

M-66 New Member

Ok,thanks ya'll

I picked up some Remington 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch 3 3/4 dr. EQ ( what ever that is), 1 1/0z shot 6 shot shells today. and as a first shot it was ok but i got to get used to the power of a shot gun,thanks for the input.