What animal is it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjmitchell60, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    OK, here is a question for many of you on here and no I do not know the answer myself.

I have a plastic tub in my barn which I use to store seed in in the spring before I plant it. It is open topped and after the spring it is not used except to catch the empty bags that horse feed comes in. The tub stands a good 4 to 5 feet off the ground and is 3'x3' square. It has a lip in it of about 3" so as animals such as mice can not crawl up and into it. Well we found 2 dead opossums in it and a bed made from the feed sack! We have heard of several coon hunters seeing a bobcat and some seeing a panther (what most call a mountain lion out west) in our area. Now the question, any ideas as to what type of animal would do this? We do not think it is a recoon but would a racoon do this? I know it is not a dog or coyota, no prints around it. Actually there are no prints at all around the tub, it is though what ever is getting into the tub is coming in from over head by way of tobacco tier rails.

Any good ideas as to what it could be?
  2. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:confused: is the bedding shredded?? or just wadded up??
  3. BobbyWins

BobbyWins New Member

The opossums got into into it goin' after the smell of the horse feed and then couldn't get back out.Starved to death,died of thirst or killed each other.

BW
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Were the possums eaten? Or just killed? This would mean the difference between a carnivorous predator and another animal simply protecting its turf.

How big were the possums? Could be a barn owl, although they usually will only prey on smaller ones and then take them elsewhere to eat them.

By the way, be VERY careful to get rid of all opossums if you have horses. They spread EPM through their feces. I lost a horse a couple years ago from EPM. I now hunt opossums with a vengeance.