What animal would you raise for harvest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Nov 20, 2011.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have 4 acres. I have some chickens now that i do enjoy raising. To me its fun, I enjoy the eggs, and one day will harvest some. I am also looking into raising something. So i would like to hear from you guys that have done this. What do you suggest? I dont want a cow or cows. To large and i dont what to deal with them. I will probably get to shoot an axis deer a year and all the wild hogs i could want. So I am thinking about goats. Something i can use to mix in with other meat or by itself. One more, what about rabbits? I hear they grow fast.

OK let her rip.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Goats and rabbits have the highest input / meat ratio

rabbits , shed them , conveyor under cage to remove waste

1 acre of what we call weeds ( long leaf and bread leaf weeds) will feed 30 breeders and siblings (150-200 at any one time ) , i saw this in the outback of siberia often

folks would grow wheat and the hay would be for rabbits for winter when they got too old to hunt game or where not allowed back when..

goats are good too but if you wild feed worm em well before you cull them

but dont pass up the milk and cheese either
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  3. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Goats are great, it a good idea. If you raise organic goats and chickens you can really make some money. I have a friend that has an organic farm and does goats and chickens but is expanding into beef. I have another friend that had lots of goats but raised them in wooded acreage and lost too many to coyotes. I and another buddy was invited often to the target rich environment to eradicate the varmints, but we didn't have the time to spend, though we did have some damn good hunts.

I would say you are on the right track though. My wife and i getting ready to move further out on some more acres and we are planning on chickens and goats and produce. We will get USDA organic certified(which is actually very easy) and get top money for our products plus getting ourselves top grage food.
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I have 2 acres so space is an issue chicken and Pigeons are all ways a thought but not to harvest just to see them on the property.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id prolly opt for raising pigs. Easy to feed, easy to shelter. Heck all they need is a mudhole and feed twice a day. If you have room to turn em out theyll root out grubs and other edible delicacies below the surface. Only thing is they are rough on fences and they are smart. I just like me some bacon and sausage and porkchops.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I would do rabbits before goats, but only because I love rabbit meat. My sister-in-law makes her own cheese frequently, and it's quite tasty, but it's more work than I would put in.
    I have a neighbor who keeps a hobby farm. Chickens, goats, and donkeys are mainstays. Zee-donks, some kind of water buffalo (maybe?), an emu, and other exotic animals cycle in and out. Keeps the retiree busy, and it's always fun to walk down and see what he has.
  7. geds

geds New Member

Chimps can probably out harvest any of the animals named so far!.....:D
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

emu would eat you outta house n home and the fences ya need if case they wanna go walkabout .. and they can get nasty ..
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I have no idea what he feeds the thing, but he's had the one here for about two years now. He just keeps it in with the rest of him animals.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

most are mild mannered and get quite tame , but they get shirty with "things" and have big toe nails and beaks and they eat more feed that a horse if allowed they are gut's and most goes straight through ...

well roasted they taste good but! heck of a job plucking them though ...

drum stick is like a roast for 4 people ..

gotta net ? come on over and grab a few , this was on the way back from hunting not long ago

Attached Files:

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Rabbits would be my first choice. Second would be to build a pond and raise some catfish fish and sunfish.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

now if your talking aqua culture .. thats cool and folks here making a big buck outta 1 and 2 acre places too ..

meet the yabbie

sweet like a lobster but bites size and no gristly bits

yuppie idjits would pay over $1000 for whats in this pic ..

[​IMG]
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

shops in sydney ( asia is triple ) charge $45-50 a kilo ( 2.2 lbs )

the price is crazy , i'm told its like $120 a plate of 8 in LA

i dreg em outta the creek .. i think the posh name for them is marron ..
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the local farmers association have a ad for yabbies farms , it shows this set up from 2002, and state in 2010 it was making the owner $2200 a month clear .. ( after expences and taxes ) i been looking hard at it myself but my land just too steep . but ... ;)

[​IMG]

i know a few small holder with similar , some fibreglass tanks ( cooler that steel ) some the cast nylon some with just ditches lined with clay and a top gravel layer

$2200 a month for that is a bit high , but do able , folks get $30-$32 a kilo at the co-operative and are happy with that

any protein meal pellet is fine as a main food , meat offcuts and i know folks who hunt for the food ..

the equation is 4000 babies x 200 kg's food , equals 200 kilo's of yabbies every 3 months , if you have enough organic feed in the water too
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  15. geds

geds New Member

Looks like crawdads (crawfish) Jack!