What animal would you raise for harvest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Nov 20, 2011.

1. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Goats............
  2. rosierita

rosierita New Member

all livestock have their benefits & their draw backs. take a serious look at your lifestyle. what do you eat day to day?

that's what you should grow. picking something you don't eat or won't use is a waste of time & money.

or picking something there's no market for... same thing.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Goats, rabits, and chickens would be the way to go IMHO. Goats, and chickens will forage for them selves, with a little feed from you, they will do fine. Rabits, well you can't just turn em loose! You have to keep them in a cage, and you have to feed them. Goats prduce meat, and milk. Chickens, produce meat, and eggs. Rabits only produce rabits! I don't look at what I will be raising as a source of income, but as a food crop for myself, family, and a few friends.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i like stuff you can spend a hour or two and your done , dont do cattle , even the just under 50 i got here have me back and forth half the day .. but they are friendly critters
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

YEah. ill agree with thet. Cattle are only good when its sittn on your plate seared medium rare beside a grilled veggie skewer.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

looking forward to the first "own grown" BBQ , that'll be a party ..
  7. 45nut

45nut Active Member

In order;

Chicken - you get eggs, an occasional fryer and an alarm clock

Rabbits - easy to feed & raise and they taste good. You should be able to advertise them for sale and sell them alive for both food and pets.

Goats - More work and trouble, but you can have fresh milk and cheese. Plus, when you grill a young one, they are great! :D(read more work)
  8. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

There's a new algae setup that they're using in hawaii, that uses clear pvc tubes with the water pumped through the tubes, gas is collected at the top of each tube and pulled off by a pump. They're setting those up on rooftops. Did see a show on national geographic the other week on preppers. A family in arizona had an almost empty pool setup with duckweed to purify the water that fed their chickens that in turn released waste into the bottom of the pool to fed tilapia, and that water was pumped up to nurish other plantlife to sustain the family
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

When we spent our last 2 years in SoCal, I had chickens, rabbits, lambs and cats. Ever tried to herd escaped chickens with the help of a couple of cats? :eek::D:D:D

Pops
  10. cow0man

cow0man New Member

Best to look at how much involvement you want and how much investment. You said you had chickens. Low cost, excellent feed to weight gain ratio, I think 1 lb of weight for 2 lbs of grain. Make you sure you have a rooster and keep him separated until you need to have some new chicks. Pigs have a 4 to 1 gain ratio. Can also easily multiple. 3 to 4 liters a year with 6-7 piglets on average/ liter. Goats, I do not not remember the weight gain ratio, but if you have one that you are going to milk, you are tied to ensuring that someone is there and willing to do the work. Easier to find someone to just feed than it is to milk.
    Are you looking just because you want a new hobby or is it for an alternative food source?
    Surprised I had not seen any advice on getting a buffalo, although it might get a little warm in La.
    If you get animal waste, you can build your own methane digester and have your own source of methane.
  11. langenc

langenc Member

Whatever it is-go with whatever you need the least help to market it directly to the consumer.

No need to have to pay butcher and several other hands. Keep as many hands out of the pot as possible.
  12. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Hoggs are out of the question. Too messy and nasty and turn your land into a mess.

I think its gona be goats. I also wouldn't mind a few rabbits. This is just for me to suppliment my food source. I want something that will turn my grass into protien for me and my family.

1. I grow grass and weeds anyway

2. I dont care if I hit the lottery or how much money i ever have, I will not be at the mercy of the grocery store and the govt.

3. This is a life change for me. I like comfort you know electricty, ac, heat, food but i am gona make dam sure i can live without big brother feeding me or making me sell my soul.
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'd pay to see that.:p

I love rabbit, but it's too expensive to buy. And they're aweful cute to raise and butcher.:(

So I guess it would be goats fer me. PLUS... ya can rent 'em out as a 'green' alternative to land clearing. Win-win.
  14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Bob, check in with the local 4H. There are kids out there who have rabbits for sale, dressed and skinned for a reasonable price. Same thing with lamb (domestic whitetail.)

Pops
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Local?

4H in Seattle?:confused:

Buying rabbit around here is like buying duck. 15-20 bucks a lb if ya can find it.
    And ducks are the swine of the feathered kingdom. They'll eat anything.:rolleyes:
  16. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

http://gardenpool.org/

This is one hell of a set up.
  18. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

You got a lot of really interesting input, CM ! Having grown up on a farm I'll add my $.05 worth ! Four acres is kinda small, so it pretty much rules out large herbivors and/or large poultry like emus, etc. If you have grain farmers in your area you might want to investigate buying their "gleanings" (i.e. cracks, dust, beeswings, etc) from their cleaning/storage operations to feed anything from turkeys to ducks/geese - all good small farm choices ! If hay is cheap goats are a good choice, yielding excellent milk, cheese and tender sweet meat (so long as you keep the billy in his own pen) !

What it gets down to is learning/deciding what feed sources are cheapest in your area and what animals you can husband with your available land/resources with them ? But never, never, never ever forget its a 24/7 undertaking that'll likely take all of your family]s time resources ! (IOW, there's a reason why farm families have so many children !)

A hidden "plus" in your scheme is children introduced early on to responsibility and trust - as in caring for animals - turn out to be much better adults ! And isn't that the real objective of any "family" ? >MW
  19. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

^Excellent post MW^