The Firearms Forum banner

What are good brands of M4 5.56 carbines?

10K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Gene Seward 
#1 ·
I know colt and bushmaster for sure but can any please list a bunch of other good, reliable, brands. i hear double star is a good brand but i have never heard of them.

#2 ·
pretty much everything but olympic. Olympic is ok I guess for an entry level gun but they are the bottom of the barrel as far as ARs are concerned. I personally like and prefer DPMS and RRA

#4 · (Edited)
I have a Doublestar and have no complaints. I've only put about 500rds through it so far, but ZERO malfunctions with a variety of ammos. Well built weapon for the $$$.

There are many good manufacturers of M4s (ARs) out there. Armalite (the originator....AR15 means Armalite model 15) , Doublestar, Smith & Wesson, Stag, DPMS, Olympic, Colt, Wilson, Les Baer, Bushmaster and Rock River are well known makers.

I have used Doublestar, Stag, DPMS and Bushmaster and have no complaints about any of those.

What ever you get, if you plan on shooting it much and/or using cheap ammo, get one with a chrome-lined barrel.

BTW, if you happen to be a south paw, Stag is well known for making a left-handed version.

#6 ·
i would suggest bushmaster. i had an a2 version that needed some adjustment and they gave me excellent customer service/

#7 ·
This is my Ruger SR-556. It uses a gas system similar to the AK, most others are direct-impingment piston systems like the original M16/AR15s. It's a little more expensive than the standard AR, but they run cooler and cleaner. Other than the gas system it is straight AR.

#8 ·
if im not mistaken the gas pistol system in the ruger ar is similar to an fal system, not an ak.

#10 ·
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15. No complaints so far. I have also owned a Bushmaster (post-ban type) in the past, and both seem to be of excellent and equal quality. Both could use a little trigger work, but other than that they were/are excellent. They both shot pretty much anything I fed them without a hiccup, even the cheap stuff, and prices were comparable. I have heard that Colt is top-of-the-line, but have never owned one. In my opinion, you would not go wrong with either the Bushmaster or the S&W.

#12 ·
i greatly differ about olympic being the bottom of the barrel,i have two.one will shoot as good as my match target colt.the other i havent fired yet but they have been great guns for me.i think because they are not overpriced people think they are not as good. old semperfi
I agree here. I have one that has worked with no probs for many years. It is accurate and shoots very well. I have Colt also and can see no difference but the name.

#15 ·
Look into Spikes Tactical. Their AR's are built as well as any and are very reasonable. I know more than a "normal" person should know a out AR's and to tell you the truth, they all have their place based on price and intended use. When you go real cheap you usually give up fit and finish and have lesser quality internal parts that will wear out quicker but they generally all work.

#18 ·
I have had Colt in the past, but they are not one tiny bit better than the Bushmaster or the DPMS in my opinion. I now have the DPMS LR308-L and other that changing the trigger from the JP to the Bushmaster two stage I love it. Now just to find another in 260and I will be happy. Well for at least a little while. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.