What are Japanese matchlock rifle and pistol worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ba_50, May 28, 2006.

1. ba_50

ba_50 New Member

What would a Japanese matchlock rifle and pistol made by "Goshu Kunitomo To Hyoe Shigeyuki’ in the 18th century be worth? The wood is very nice while the barrels are somewhat rough. Thanks.
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

If it's authentic, it's a museum piece and you need to talk to some antique dealers or auction houses. I don't think you can get a worthwhile answer here.
  3. ba_50

ba_50 New Member

I didn't expect much from the posting but thought it was worth a try. I can't get any experts to put a price on it either. Against their policy.
  4. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

post pics and i will opine as to there value and authenticity...

best regards, mike.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

We can give you approximate values on modern metallic cartridge guns, and on many of the post-1850's mass produced percussion firearms, but when you get into handmade firearms such as many flintlocks, wheelocks, matchlocks......these firearms are potentially very valuable as antiquities and should be evaluated "hands on" by an expert in such firearms.

Sorry that we can't help you.....but any value we give you would be, at best, a WAG (Wild-Assed Guess), and we might well be doing you a disservice.